Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops

Have you ever gone out for Valentine’s Day only to be disappointed by the noise level of the restaurant, food that didn’t quite measure up, or felt rushed by the wait staff to move along for the their next seating?  We have more than once.

Are you tempted to try something different, skip the crowded restaurants, though not sure you can pull-off a sweetheart dinner at home?

Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops with Roasted Asparagus is an impressive dish, takes only a few minutes to prepare, and the cost will be easier to stomach too. Tenderloin steak is seared in butter then finished with scallops in subtle accents of lemon zest, white wine, garlic, and fresh basil creating surf-n-turf heaven.

The key is quality ingredients, so choose fresh lemon and herbs, large scallops, and tenderloin steaks—beef tenderloin (the wider end of the loin) or filet mignon (the small, forward end of the loin) is the ideal cut for its tenderness and ease of preparation.  If you are not familiar with sea scallops, check out this helpful guide to selecting quality sea scallops at Sally’s Place.  Of course, this recipe works just as well with colossal shrimp if sea scallops are not available.

Take care to set the table and prep ingredients before you begin cooking since the entire process will only take about 20 minutes.  While the asparagus roasts, you will be busy at the stove with the scallops and steak, both should be done at the same time. Feel free to include a crusty loaf of bread with dinner so you can soak up and savor every lemon-garlic-buttery bite.

Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops

• ¼ cup dry white wine
  • 2 tablespoons lemon juice -- fresh squeezed
  • 1 tablespoon minced parsley
  • 1 tablespoon fresh basil -- chiffonade
  • ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
  • dash hot pepper sauce
  • salt and pepper to taste
Instructions
  1. Season steaks with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, preferably cast iron, heat 3 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until hot and bubbly. Add steaks to skillet and cook 5-7 minutes per side for medium-rare. After steaks are seared on one side and ready to be turned, add scallops to the skillet to sear, 1-2 minutes on each side, right beside the steaks, but not touching.
  2. After starting steaks in the skillet, begin to make the sauce. In a medium skillet or sauce pan, sauté onion and garlic over medium heat in 2 tablespoons olive oil until fragrant. Add wine and lemon juice, simmer to reduce slightly, 1-2 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted into the sauce.
  3. When the scallops are seared on each side, stir the fresh parsley, lemon zest, basil, and hot pepper sauce into the scampi sauce.
  4. Reduce heat to low, add seared scallops, spooning the sauce over the scallops. When the steaks are seared, add to the pan with the scallops and spoon sauce over the steaks.
  5. Serve immediately with additional sauce over both the scallops and the steak.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 2
Roasted Asparagus

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus -- ends trimmed
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Position top oven rack in the middle of the oven, approximately 12 inches under broiler and turn broiler on HI. Prepare asparagus by trimming fibrous ends. Arrange asparagus on a rimmed baking sheet so that each spear is touching the pan and separate. Drizzle with olive oil and roll asparagus to coat well. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. Set asparagus under the broiler for 10-12 minutes, checking and turning (rolling ¼ turn) asparagus every few minutes until lightly browned in spots and crisp tender. Cook slightly longer if a softer texture is preferred.
Notes & Suggestions
To roast asparagus more quickly, position oven rack just 6 inches below broiler, roast for 5-6 minutes.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 2-3

Shared on the following Blog Hops:
The Nourishing Gourmet Pennywise Platter Thursday
Mom Trends Friday Food
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday
Premeditated Leftovers Hearth & Soul Hop
The Healthy Home Economist Monday Mania
Hearth & Soul Hop
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday
Tuesday’s Table

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

32 Responses to Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops with Roasted Asparagus: 30-Minute Valentine Dinner

1. Catherine February 13, 2012 at 10:41 pm #

My husband has been wanting me to learn to cook scallops. I’ll have to try this.

Catherine
    (Click here to enter my anthropologie kitchen tools giveaway.)

2. Raymund February 13, 2012 at 11:22 pm #

Really nice surf and turf dish! look at that I can take my eyes out of it

3. Heather @girlichef February 14, 2012 at 5:21 am #

Gorgeous! I can almost smell it…those pictures are so amazing. I’m a lover of surf and turf – and I may just have to make this tonight. Delicious.

• Judy February 14, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Thanks Heather, you’re so sweet! If you do make it, I’d love to know how you liked it … always editing and adjusting recipes over here. :)

4. ChgoJohn February 14, 2012 at 7:44 am #

This is a great looking dish, Judy, and yo’re so right about using high quality ingredients. Anything less and the dish really suffers.

I wanted to thank you for suggesting I go to Costco for bufala mozzarella. That place never ceases to amaze me. I bought some and tonight’s dinner of eggplant parmesan will be all the better because of it. Thank you!

• Judy February 14, 2012 at 8:24 am #

Hi John, I am so glad you found it! No doubt, dinner will be delicious at your house. They have a good quality prosciutto too, just made caprese bites wrapped in it for an appetizer last weekend for a party–so good! Look forward to seeing an eggplant Parmesan post …

5. Jill@RealFoodForager.com February 14, 2012 at 7:49 am #

Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This looks delicious as usual! Hope to see you next week!

Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

6. Linda February 14, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Absolutely perfect! I love this dinner and it is such a special, romantic meal. What’s even better is that you don’t need to be in the kitchen for hours!! I’m definitely planning to make this soon!

7. Sawsan February 14, 2012 at 12:55 pm #

What an elegant looking meal!
    I love all the flavors and colors in it Judy and the fact that it is so quick and easy takes it over the top

8. Geni February 14, 2012 at 2:04 pm #

What a fabulous preparation for scallops. I usually make more of a citrus sauce but this scampi style looks delectable!

9. Karen (Back Road Journal) February 15, 2012 at 4:34 am #

A very lovely surf and turf presentation for V day or any special occasion.

10. Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking February 15, 2012 at 10:42 am #

Judy, this is lovely! I truly can’t think of a more enticing, romantic meal than this plate of steak, scallops and asparagus. It looks so mouthwatering! I hope you had a nice Valentine’s Day.

11. Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen February 15, 2012 at 6:08 pm #

I love scallops!! This looks like the perfect Valentine’s dinner! :D

12. mjskit February 16, 2012 at 9:00 pm #

What a great surf and turf Valentine’s Day dinner! Tons better than what you could have gotten if you had gone out. Love your scampi sauce!

13. Sammie February 17, 2012 at 12:25 am #

What a lovely Valentine’s dinner! Nothing tastes better than food cooked with love!!!

14. sportsglutton February 17, 2012 at 10:11 am #

Hi Judy…I’m finally home and have the time to catch up with my friends in the blog-o-sphere.

That is the perfect picture that shows off the beauty of this dish. Absolute perfection…in my gluttonous opinion. ;-)

15. Greg February 17, 2012 at 10:26 am #

We had steak and asparagus too. But oh boy those scallops. I love how buttery and fresh everything looks.

16. Caroline February 17, 2012 at 11:20 am #

Holy cow, Judy, that plate of food looks amazing! But really, I can’t stop staring. Those scallops are stunning…and I agree with Greg, love how buttery they look! mmm mmm

17. Amy (Savory Moments) February 22, 2012 at 6:59 pm #

What a lovely looking dinner! I bet it was wonderful.

18. April @ The 21st Century Housewife February 25, 2012 at 10:46 am #

This is a perfect romantic dinner – especially as it is so quick and easy to prepare. The flavourings and fresh herbs you have used are really lovely, and it all looks so delicious. Thank you for sharing this post with the Hearth and Soul hop.

19. Alea Milham February 27, 2012 at 11:55 pm #

What a lovely and delicious dinner! I really love how quickly this comes together. We usually eat in on special evenings too, it is so much more intimate.

20. Johnny July 22, 2012 at 4:05 am #

Great dish,I make a variation of this often ,like very much tour version and your blog

21. Lizzy (Good Things) February 17, 2014 at 8:02 pm #

Wow, how on earth did I miss this!? (We were away, so I guess that’s why). This is my kind of food! xox
    Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..Postcards and morsels – a short breakMy Profile

• Judy Purcell February 18, 2014 at 6:52 am #

Hi Lizzy, I know what you mean, to me it is the perfect meal. Thanks for stopping by. :)

22. Selena August 5, 2014 at 12:37 am #

When I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now each
    time a comment is added I get three e-mails with the same comment.
    Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Many thanks!
    Selena recently posted..SelenaMy Profile

• Judy Purcell August 5, 2014 at 8:04 am #

Hi Selena, sorry for the multiple email thing, but I don’t think it’s coming from a subscription on this end as I don’t see any subscriptions to the comments on this post. You might try deleting the subscription in your ‘manage subscription’ area to resolve it. Sometimes WordPress can be glitchy with subscriptions, sorry that I don’t see it on my end.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Shrimp Scampi for two…my Valentine’s Day dinner! « Gluten-free Medley - February 15, 2012

[…] Scampi-Style Steak & Scallops with Roasted Asparagus: 30-Minute Valentine Dinner (savoringtoday.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:LikeBe the first to like this post.   […]

2. Hearth and Soul Hop with Premeditated Leftovers 2/28 | Premeditated Leftovers - February 28, 2012

[…] Chicken Parsnip Balls Spinach and Shrimp Chowder Vegetarian Treasure Fried Rice Scampi-Style Steak Scallops and Roasted Asparagus Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Green Garlic, Brown Butter & […]

3. Asparagus: Coveted Spears of Spring | Savoring Today LLC - March 19, 2012

[…] Methods: Asparagus can be steamed, boiled, roasted, grilled, sautéed in a stir-fry, or added to […]

4. Date #1 Raoul and Christine | Romance On A Shoestring - February 18, 2013

[…] to think of a decedent dinner, since our couple comes from wealth in Paris during the early 1900s. Scampi-style steak & scallops, roasted asparagus, heart-y salad and heart crescent rolls, seemed to fit the […]

5. Valentine's Day » Financegirl - February 11, 2014

[…] Get the directions here from Savoring Today: http://savoringtoday.com/2012/02/13/scampi-steak-scallops-roasted-asparagus/ […]

6. 35+Romantic Date Night Recipes - Growing Up Gabel - June 9, 2014

[…] The View from Great Island Pork Loin with Dijon Cream Sauce and Cornichons – Flavor Mosaic Scampi Style Steak and Scallops – Savoring Today Chocolate Coffee Rubbed Steak with Coconut – Food Faith Fitness Beef […]