Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp

Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp with Roasted Asparagus

Having a new favorite sauce is like having a new hammer—everything starts to look like a nail, or in this case, everything on the grill looks like a smear-able recipient. When we reworked a sauce for Thai Chili Sesame Chicken Wings a few months ago, it was an instant favorite around our table. The sweet, tangy, spicy sauce is addictive, leaving me no choice but to create more ways to use it. It was perfect for Thai Chicken Pizza and chicken wings, so why not grill a few shrimp, and test it on some seafood too.

Oh my, summer grilling just got more interesting.

Though the sesame seeds are optional, the added texture is nice and I love the rich contrast of the black sesame seeds on the shrimp. Black sesame seeds are more flavorful (and fun) than white or brown sesame seeds and contain 60% more calcium than the lighter seeds. Since I was in a sesame seed kind of mood, it was only appropriate to dress the asparagus with a few of the tan seeds, which settle nicely once the asparagus is tossed with butter.  Quinoa is a perfect bed for the shrimp, making it easy to capture every bit of tasty sauce.

Making your own Thai Chili Sauce at home gives you the freedom to adjust the flavors to suit any preference. Add more honey if you like it sweeter, dried chili peppers to kick up the heat, or vinegar and lime for more tangy bite. Whatever you decide to slather it on or however you choose to adjust flavor, fresh lime juice takes it to a completely new level, so don’t be tempted to skip that part. Shrimp cooks in less than 10 minutes and there is always excitement when the family sees it on the menu, so you can bet this dish will grace our table more this summer for smiles all around.

Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp

Serves: Serves 4

Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp

A sweetly tangy Thai chili sauce with just enough spice to grab some attention clings to tender, smoky grilled shrimp for a meal that comes together in under 30 minutes from scratch.

Ingredients

• 2 whole limes -- 1 cut in half, 1 sliced into wedges and set aside
  • 1/3 cup butter -- melted
  • 24 large shrimp -- about 2 pounds, 12-16 count; peeled and deveined, tails on
  • FOR THE SAUCE:
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce -- Red Boat
  • 2 tablespoons dry sherry
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce -- Panda Brand
  • 4 cloves garlic -- minced
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot -- dissolved in a little cold water
  • black sesame seeds

Instructions

1. If using a gas grill, preheat grill for 5-10 minutes before cooking the shrimp--there is usually enough time to do this while preparing the shrimp. If using charcoal, start it early enough to make sure coals are hot and glowing before cooking shrimp.
  2. For the sauce: Combine the honey, rice vinegar, fish sauce, sherry, chili garlic sauce, garlic, and dissolved cornstarch in a small sauce pan and stir to combine over medium heat. Cook until sauce begins to bubble and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
  3. Squeeze the juice from one of the lime halves into the melted butter, stir to combine. Once the shrimp are peeled and deveined (leave the tails on), place in a bowl and squeeze the juice from the other half of the lime over the shrimp and toss. Place the shrimp on skewers so the skewer goes through part of the end by the tail and part of the thicker end to form a crescent shape. Line the shrimp on the skewer one after the other without smashing the shrimp together or crowding.
  4. Once the grill is ready and the sauce is made, brush the shrimp with lime-butter on both sides. Grill over medium-high heat about 2-3 minutes on each side, brushing more butter on after turning, until the shrimp turns from grey to bright pink in color and the flesh appears opaque. Brush each side with sauce and grill for 1 minute.
  5. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve with lime wedges and additional sauce at the table. Squeeze lime juice over the shrimp just before eating.

Notes

Larger, meaty shrimp 10-16 count are an excellent choice for the grill, using a fish basket or skewers work best for containment. Add more honey for a sweeter sauce, dried chili peppers to kick up the heat, or vinegar and lime for more tangy bite.

Shared on the following Blog Hops:
The Nourishing Gourmet Pennywise Platter Thursday
Mom Trends Friday Food
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday
Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today

, , , , , ,

23 Responses to Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp

1. Hotly Spiced June 7, 2012 at 9:54 pm #

This looks great. And so good for you. I love the contrasting colour of the shrimp and the asparagus. And that’s a great way to cook the asparagus. xx

• Judy June 9, 2012 at 9:04 am #

It really was a hit all around, thanks Charlie. :)

2. Shobha June 8, 2012 at 1:42 am #

The Thai stir-fried prawns look awesome ..prawns are my favourite.
    Thanks for dropping by @ food Mazaa..do keep visiting.

• Judy June 9, 2012 at 9:05 am #

Thanks, Shobha, for stopping by here too! I enjoyed visiting your blog, look forward to seeing more from you. :)

3. Lauren @ From Everyday To Gourmet June 8, 2012 at 6:31 am #

That looks – and sounds! – so delicious, I can’t wait to try it at my house!!

• Judy June 9, 2012 at 9:06 am #

Thanks so much for saying so, Lauren. Do let me know if you try it, how you like it. :)

4. ChgoJohn June 8, 2012 at 1:44 pm #

The opening photo looks delicious! I really enjoy barbecued shrimp, Judy, and cannot wait to give this Thai sauce a try, especially being I can control the heat. This will definitely be on my Summer grilling rotation. Thanks!

• Judy June 9, 2012 at 9:08 am #

Thank John, the photos are always the hardest part for me–always a surprise when they turn out. ;) If you do try the sauce, let me know how you like it … so glad it is grilling season!

5. Kelly @ Inspired Edibles June 8, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

Judy, what a top photo! Your shrimp (and asparagus) could not look more luminous and inviting… gorgeous!

• Judy June 9, 2012 at 9:11 am #

Aw, thanks Kelly, the photos are the toughest part for me, that is so encouraging!

6. Maureen @ Orgasmic Chef June 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm #

What a gorgeous plate of food. I love chili prawns and these take it up a notch with that lime juice. I make my own sauce too but I’m going to try your recipe next time.

The hammer and nail cracked me up. I’m so guilty of that!

• Judy June 10, 2012 at 8:11 am #

Thanks Maureen, I appreciate you saying that. Let me know how you like it. :)

7. Raymund June 10, 2012 at 4:22 am #

Wow I love that recipe, shrimps are my weakness. Love the flavors you have used in this one

• Judy June 10, 2012 at 8:12 am #

Yeah, it is hard to pass up grilled shrimp!

8. Just A Smidgen June 10, 2012 at 9:17 am #

This is just the perfect spring.. soon to be summer dish. The colors and the flavors are a perfect match. I’ve got some black sesames just waiting to be sprinkled:) The light on that photo is perfect.. is that natural light or a stand? Just contemplating buying one of those.. it’s been so cloudy here lately:P xoxo Smidge
    Just A Smidgen recently posted..Home-Coming Lemon BarsMy Profile

• Judy June 10, 2012 at 9:35 am #

Thank you! It is natural light, nothing better … I too would like a stand or box, the afternoon thunderstorms are great for the garden, not so great for photos, eh?! Black sesames are so fun … can’t wait to see what you sprinkle them on. :)

9. mjskit June 10, 2012 at 9:04 pm #

What a great shrimp recipe! Love the sauce and I would definitely add the sesame seeds! Love it coupled with the asparagus.
    mjskit recently posted..Orange Ginger Chicken SaladMy Profile

10. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) June 11, 2012 at 9:13 am #

Oh you are so right Judy. Whenever you have a new favorite sauce you want to find away to use it. Same with an ingredient for me. Great use on the shrimp too. Hope you had a great weekend!

11. April @ The 21st Century Housewife June 15, 2012 at 7:37 am #

Your Grilled Thai Chili Sesame Shrimp looks so good, especially with the wonderful asparagus. I always like to have a go-to sauce recipe that works with lots of things, and this one sounds fantastic. I have never heard of black sesame seeds; I will have to try to find some!

12. Dan June 24, 2012 at 1:56 am #

Looks good – I can’t get enough of Asian cooking.
    Dan recently posted..Thailand Retirement Options – Go and Live Your Dream!My Profile

13. Erin @SalmonAtSeven July 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm #

I love Thai-inspired foods. LOVE them! These shrimp look absolutely stunning – and perhaps dinner tomorrow night. I have some shrimp in the freezer… oh the possibilities! :)
    Hopping over from Hearth & Soul tonight. Hope you’ll swing by the new SalmonAtSeven.com (formerly EKat’s Kitchen) and say hi!
    xoxo
    Erin @SalmonAtSeven recently posted..DIY Fruit Bouquets – A TutorialMy Profile

14. Swathi July 23, 2012 at 9:48 am #

Delicious and colorful Thai chili sesame shrimp Judy. I love it.
    Swathi recently posted..Blueberry Lemon-LimeadeMy Profile

15. kitchenriffs November 1, 2012 at 10:17 am #

Such a great looking dish! Nice light on that top photo. I love spicy, and shrimp and asparagus are so good. Really nice recipe – thanks.