Oh Hail, Adrenal Fatigue is No Garden Party

The upper garden in early evening light – the girls did such a good job.

For Mother’s Day, all I wanted was labor (no pun intended), help to get the gardens cleaned up and planted. Matt took me shopping for the flowers, the kids provided the labor to do the planting. If we can keep the deer out of the backyard we will enjoy the produce and flowers all summer (we’ll see if the feather meal works). A month ago when I asked for the “gift”, I had no idea the garden wouldn’t have happened otherwise.

Can you see the polka dots on the foxglove? When the wind blows, you’d think those bell flowers would ring!

Just about the time we had planned to start this garden party, I was exhausted. Toast. Adrenal fatigue had reared its head again and when your adrenals are done, believed me, you’re done. There’s no pushing through it, so without the help of my sweet family, there would be no garden this year and no photos to share with you now.

It’s surprising I didn’t see it coming, I know the signs, the triggers, the subtle energy-suckers that can put a strain on my system. That’s the way it is though, one day you’re doing what you always do and the next day you don’t want to lift your arms to wash your hair. It’s crazy, or at least it can make you feel that way.

As I mentioned in earlier posts, we just concluded a fun-filled three months of celebrating—parties, weddings, graduations, Prom, birthdays, all good, fun, wonderful stuff, but one of the hardest lessons I’ve learned about dealing with adrenal issues is that even the good stuff adds up. In this case, it was the death of a friend’s son on the heels of everything else that tipped the scale.

Grief is a heavy load all on its own.

The vegetable garden is a little shadowy since it is so late in the day.

Oh yeah, and I hadn’t been taking my adrenal supplements for a few months because I ran out, figured I’d pick some up eventually. Ugh, dumb, I know. So there I was, waking up tired, feeling like I could barely lift my feet off the floor, the smallest task was such effort, then a cold sore emerges, and this dull headache …

Wait, what was I going to say?

Yep, that’s the tell that it has slipped beyond tired to exhaustion, cognitive function takes a real dive as words just swim in your head when you try to form sentences. It’s the pits. Like living in slow motions while the world passes by. Unfortunately, reading is difficult too, so many of the blogs posts I usually read and comment on are still sitting [over 125 of them] in my inboxwaiting.

There’s hail in them thar clouds! Eerie, scary clouds! [Photo by Melody Ashley

Oh, and there was a devastating hail storm last week that thankfully missed us, but just across town 4 feet of hail was standing in the streets—no kidding! Cars were buried, folks had to be rescued. It was crazy! The images are really still hard to believe. That certainly would not have been a party for my garden … or any plant in the yard … or my skylights. Scary!

Flash floods were part of the mess too, as you can see in this video from a local, less than 5 miles from our house where we only had light rain.

It’s been a slow climb, but I am finally feeling like normal activity can resume, the garden has been such a joy in the midst of it, I am so very grateful it survived the storms.

Emails to read.

Recipes to write.

A dog to walk.

Gardens to tend.

A family to feed.

It is all still there and I’m still here. Life resumes again and because others stepped-in where I couldn’t, it is even more beautiful.

My favorite hanging basket on the deck … those little yellow flower just make my heart happy.

Adrenal fatigue or adrenal insufficiency can be brought on by a number of stressful life events, in my case it was a physical and emotional trauma. A friend of mine found she needed temporary adrenal support after a car accident. Another friend went through two hospital stays after frequent collapsing and was released both times without any diagnosis. She was finally diagnosed and treated for adrenal insufficiency by a doctor who has helped her immensely. Unfortunately it is very common for adrenal issues to be overlooked or misdiagnosed. If you believe adrenal fatigue may be an issue for you or someone you know, visit adrenalfatigue.org for more information.

Disclosure: I have no connection to Adrenal Fatigue [dot] org, this post is not an endorsement of their products. I am providing their link only as a courtesy for information only, not to provide medical diagnosis. If you have any questions about my personal experience with adrenal fatigue or about this post, please contact me directly or leave a comment.

, , , ,

11 Responses to Oh Hail, Adrenal Fatigue is No Garden Party

1. Raymund June 11, 2012 at 2:24 am #

Those clouds indeed look scary, love the shot though
    Raymund recently posted..Guest Post : Yudith from Blissfully Delicious featuring Oyster Sauce Chicken with Bok-ChoyMy Profile

2. ChgoJohn June 11, 2012 at 7:55 am #

4 feet of hail? That’s Biblical proportions. Incredible. Those storms must have been frightening. Sorry to hear you’ve not been well, Judy, and hope that your supplements will help get you back on track. So glad your family helped get your garden squared away for you. And thanks for the info about adrenal fatigue.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Straw and Hay Pasta — Paglia e FienoMy Profile

• Judy June 11, 2012 at 9:16 am #

Thank you, John, I am doing much better. The hail storm was very scary for friends in the middle of it, it was just unbelievable that was happening just a few miles away when all we had was a few sprinkles.

3. suburban prep June 11, 2012 at 8:47 am #

I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue so I understand to a degree the Adrenal Fatigue. I have thought over the last year or so that I have it as well. I have been through a lot emotionally with my family as my father suffered a stroke in September and my mother had an emergency aortic aneurysm dissection in February. On top of that there were some issues with my heath and my husband’s job.

I do so hope that you are getting the rest you need and the support that is necessary.

• Judy June 11, 2012 at 9:12 am #

Thank you so much. Once I recognized it, I rested, cancelled unnecessary appointments, resumed supplements, and asked for help around the house. I have been dealing with it for five years now, but I still get frustrated at times that it is an issue, especially when I don’t stay ahead of it. Of course, life happens and sometimes you can’t.

I am so sorry to hear about your mom and dad, it is tough to go through that when you don’t feel well yourself. I have friends with fibromyalgia and my sister suffered from chronic fatigue, which I believe is connected to adrenal response, so your hunch is probably right. Years ago I read the book Margin and the author talks about emotional stress being just as taxing as physical stress, yet harder to recognize. ie. When we try to lift 100 lbs we know right away if our body is able to or not and we would immediately feel the affects of having to carry it around. Carrying emotional “weight” is more difficult to recognize, but the wear on our bodies is significant.

I do hope you can find a health practitioner that can help and that you too can get the rest and support you need.

4. Just A Smidgen June 11, 2012 at 10:00 pm #

I’m so glad you’ve sorted out a solution for your health problems.. I can relate to forgetting to pick up the supplements on time. Life is so stressful for everyone these days.. why do we feel guilty when we stop everything and enjoy simple pleasures? There’s always a little voice in the back of my head that says I must have something important that needs doing.. crazy.. I think I do it to myself! I wish you the best of health and send you hugs!! xoxo Smidge
    Just A Smidgen recently posted..Home-Coming Lemon BarsMy Profile

• Judy June 12, 2012 at 6:56 am #

Oh, thank you Smidge! I agree with you, life can be so stressful, we have to be purposeful about stopping and learning when to say no–even to good things. I am feeling like things are back on track, thank you for your well wishes (and hugs). :)

5. mjskit June 12, 2012 at 9:23 pm #

I’m so glad that you are starting to feel better! I never really knew what fatigue was until I suffered from it a few years ago. It’s SO more than being tired! It’s paralyzing! Thank goodness you had your wonderful family to help you out. Your flowers are gorgeous and it’s amazing that they survived the hail storm! Hope you have this week to recover, relax and enjoy your garden!
    mjskit recently posted..Orange Ginger Chicken SaladMy Profile

• Judy June 13, 2012 at 5:58 am #

Thank you, MJ, I am feeling better and enjoying my garden immensely! It felt good to get out there to weed and fertilize yesterday without being worn out when I was done. :)

6. Karen (Back Road Journal) June 15, 2012 at 5:59 am #

Life can get so stressful at times, even when it involves happy events. It is nice that your family gave you such a beautiful gift. I know it was very much appreciated. Happy to hear you are doing a little better…take care.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Too Much WaterMy Profile

• Judy June 15, 2012 at 6:26 am #

Thank you, Karen, it was a beautiful gift. :)