A Walk in Scottsdale

Snow is falling once again as I write this post to share the sites and sounds of my walk in Scottsdale last weekend. The blizzard warnings last week and the current storm blanketing the Front Range were book ends to the short trip. My husband was traveling for business to play in a charity golf tournament and I was delighted to tag along. Assured that spring had indeed arrived somewhere, Scottsdale did not disappoint. Although we’ve had intermittent days of warming sun and open windows in Colorado, tank tops and sandals are still premature.

This spontaneous trip was also the reason there were no recipes posted last week—am I the only one that needs a week to get ready to get away for a few days?

When we arrived we had to wait awhile for our room to be ready, so we found seats at the hotel pub to watch The Masters and refresh ourselves from travel. It seemed like the perfect time to try a mojito. Yes, it was my first mojito and I’m officially a fan.

My first (ever) Mojito -- Mint & Lime -- Oh yes, a refreshing way to begin.

Mint & Lime Mojito

By the pool

Thawing my snow-bitten toes by the pool.

Fine food and poolside warmth is enough to make a great weekend getaway, but the unexpected highlight for me was a long walk through the community by our resort. It was as though I met with spring, up close and personal, refreshed by the splendor of color, sound, and gentleness of its renewal. The birds were most remarkable, their chorus a constant companion. I’ve included a video so you could hear them—the video isn’t exciting, so you are welcome to just listen and imagine while you browse the remaining photos.

I hope you enjoy taking this walk with me in Scottsdale.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

And a few more fun things to share …

Our first evening there, we enjoyed jumbo shrimp cocktail with a powerful horseradish sauce at Mastro’s Ocean Club, it was just the beginning of a superb meal.

Shrimp Cocktail at Mastro's Ocean Club

Matt sinking a putt at the 18th, which was perfect timing for me to watch out the window while having lunch.

Matt sinking a putt on 18

I ended my walk (and lunch) by treating myself to a piece flourless chocolate cake garnished with raspberries and whipped cream, so I will conclude with the same. :)

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberries and Whipped Cream

Flourless Chocolate Cake with Raspberries and Whipped Cream

, , , , , ,

19 Responses to A Walk in Scottsdale

1. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef April 17, 2013 at 3:46 pm #

I love the Scottsdale, Cave Creek area. After the first day I’m not surprised by seeing rocks for lawn. :)
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Help for Food Intolerance!My Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:41 am #

Lots of rocks for lawns, those that mix in nice plantings are quite nice. Great area.

2. john@kitchenriffs April 18, 2013 at 9:23 am #

Scottsdale is a great place! Fun to relax there, and I can’t think of a better location to experience your first mojito! Fun drink, isn’t it? It’s always so good to get away for a bit. We haven’t done that for ages, and probably should.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Moroccan Orange and Radish SaladMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:43 am #

It is a great place, enjoyed the spring season very much. Yes, the mojito was a fun, refreshing way to start our weekend. :)

3. Karen (Back Road Journal) April 18, 2013 at 11:19 am #

When in the world is your weather going to really be springlike. I know you enjoyed the warmth and sunshine…I enjoyed the walk with you.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Sicilian Pasta With Saffron And CauliflowerMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:44 am #

Thanks Karen, it looks like this week we are finally going to be consistently above 50°. :)

4. Monet April 18, 2013 at 9:13 pm #

I did enjoy the walk…and I wish it was a bit warmer here in Colorado. We had snow today. Yuck! But your post did brighten the evening. Thank you for sharing!
    Monet recently posted..Honey Sweetened Mini CheesecakesMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:46 am #

Hi Monet, I’m glad I could being a little spring your way while we wait for warmer weather here in CO. :)

5. ChgoJohn April 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm #

I think Scottsdale was just what the Doctor ordered. Your WInter has been a real challenge this year and a bit of sun, cacti, and palm trees will certainly get you through these next couple weeks. Thanks for sharing your walk with us, Judy. I bet it was really something.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Burrata Returns and This Time It’s Packin’ FusilliMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:47 am #

Oh, it was just what we needed to patiently wait through the last few weeks of snow storms, but this week we are finally going to have some sunshine! :)

6. mjskit April 21, 2013 at 10:43 am #

It’s still April so laying out by the pool with an icy drink is still not in my head, but I guess in Scottsdale, there are only a couple of months a year when you can’t do it. Your pictures make me wanting to go to the warmer weather right now! Looks like y’all had fun!
    mjskit recently posted..Red Chile Infused OilMy Profile

7. Barb Bamber April 21, 2013 at 9:41 pm #

I love Scottsdale!! We were there this past December and ate at Mastro’s then sat at the piano bar getting quite “soused”:D We were staying right across the street, so it was just the best night with a little walk home and to sleep. I’d love to get down there more often! xx
    Barb Bamber recently posted..Freshwater Seashell WreathMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:49 am #

Mastro’s really is something, and the piano bar would be easy to linger in for a long while. :)

8. Pure Complex April 23, 2013 at 11:43 am #

The shrimp, the cake.. I am so jealous lol. I wish i could lay by the pool in April. It is 55 degrees here today lol. Can’t wait for summer.
    Pure Complex recently posted..Art / Fashionable WatercolorsMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 9:50 am #

Being by the pool in April was a real treat, made the snow storm we returned home to more bearable. ;)

9. Raymund April 24, 2013 at 12:51 am #

Looks like you had a nice day, fine weather and ending it with that yummy treat
    Raymund recently posted..Boiled Crabs with FennelMy Profile

10. Nusrat Azim April 26, 2013 at 1:57 pm #

Looks like you took a trip to Paradise :) Thanks for sharing the gorgeous photos.

11. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) April 27, 2013 at 5:54 am #

How wonderful it must have been to get out of the snow and into spring Judy. I’d be extremely jealous if spring hadn’t finally arrived here in DC, but I will be jealous in the middle of summer when I’m swamped in humidity and you have dry air! ;-)

Thanks for sharing your trip with us!
    Jed Gray (sportsglutton) recently posted..Los Angeles Dodgers: Kimchi Chicken QuesadillaMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 27, 2013 at 10:00 am #

Oh, it really was a nice break from the snow and yes, we do have beautiful summers here, which we thoroughly enjoy. I guess no matter where we put down stakes, there are parts we love and parts we don’t, which is why it’s nice to be able to get away once in a while. :)