In My Kitchen ~ March 2014

Gosh, it’s March already. I’ve missed posting IMK so long now that I am sharing items from Christmas … which now seems like forever ago. Not really, just some seasons of life can feel like they last longer than usual and it’s the less pleasant seasons that seem so. As I’ve been dealing with a health issue since last fall, time has stood still and slipped by simultaneously. It’s a mystery how that happens, but I’ll share more about that in my next post.

In my kitchen …

is the window that serves as my weather forecast. Sunshine, clouds rolling in, or glistening snow, each day brings a new picture to the world outside. Though it isn’t snowing today as I write this, it has been a common scene and the beauty of the snow against the blue morning sky is really something to behold. As eager as I am for spring, I’ll savor it just a little longer.

March 2014 IMK - window (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

is a new cookbook that is as much fun to read as it is to browse the recipes. I love the heart they have for gathering friends around the table and their practical encouragement for the next generation to do so.

March 2014 IMK - Kinfolk Cookbook (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

is a small bouquet of spring flowers from a friend … just because. She’s like that. A friend that just knows when you need a spray of spring to remind you of renewed, flourishing, abundant life. I love the lesson of spring ~ beauty and hope just beneath the hard crust of winter.

March 2014 IMK - spring flowers (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

is a new marble rolling pin from my mom. It arrived just in time for Christmas baking and honestly it took some getting used to as it did not require bearing down when rolling out dough. It sits on my counter—not because I bake that often—because it’s like having my mom right there with me. (As you can see, Silas is always there with me.)

March 2014 IMK - marble rolling pin (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

is a Blackberry Jalapeno Compote I picked up at Venice Olive Oil Co the other day. Its assignment? Goat cheese and just about anything else I can think of to spread it on … yes, ma’am!

March 2014 IMK - Blackberry Jalapeno Compote (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

is one of the most treasured Christmas gifts I have ever received. A handmade walnut cutting board and two hand carved spoons from my daughter. Yes, she chiseled them out of a block of wood. I keep them on the counter as I haven’t brought myself to use them yet. These were a gift of sacrifice and love, the best kind.

March IMK - cutting board (1 of 1)

March 2014 IMK - spoons (1 of 1)

In my kitchen …

Silas is ever at my side. I think he’s noticed I’m not in my kitchen like I used to be, but it’s all the same to him. He’s not picky about where we are, just so long as we are together.

March 2014 IMK - Silas (1 of 1)

What’s happening in your kitchen this month?

If you’d like to do an In My Kitchen post on your own blog, please link back to Fig Jam and Lime Cordial and let Celia know when your post is up, so it can be added to the monthly listing.

, , , , ,

33 Responses to In My Kitchen ~ March 2014

1. Barb Bamber March 4, 2014 at 8:27 pm #

I’m such a fan of Kinfolk as well, although I haven’t looked through their cookbook yet. Just reading their articles gives me such a sense of peace. Your Silas must do the same for you.. his face is so gentle and his coat is beautiful! I love the two special items in your kitchen, your mom’s gift of a rolling pin and your daughter’s handmade gift. However did she do that?? Is this her hobby or her career? They’re so beautiful!xx

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 6:59 am #

Hi Barb, our daughter is an artist and she made the spoons in a woodworking class last semester, it took her a couple of months ~ a priceless gift. :)

2. Lizzy (Good Things) March 4, 2014 at 9:13 pm #

Hi Judy, there’s that window that I love to see! You have some beautiful things in your kitchen this time… the board the the spoons, wow! The book, the flowers from a special friend, the compote. Love it! Happy cooking and thank you for the peek! xo
    Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..A conversation with Tim Montgomery, Executive Chef, Noosa International Food + Wine FestivalMy Profile

3. Francesca March 5, 2014 at 12:14 am #

Ah the cutting board and spoons- divine.
    Francesca recently posted..In My ( camping ) Kitchen. March 2014My Profile

4. ChgoJohn March 5, 2014 at 12:27 am #

That cutting board is gorgeous and what a fantastic gift those spoons were! That’s such a great view out your window, Judy, perfect for watching the seasons change. Cannot wait to see what you’re going to make with your new rolling pin. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Gettin’ Cheeky with Beef – And in a Slow Cooker, No LessMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 8:10 am #

Hi John, the cutting board is so smooth to the touch I haven’t been able to bring myself to use a knife on it. Although I think I’m going to have to as the last couple times my daughter has been home to visit she has asked if I’ve used it … I suppose worn is well loved too. :)

5. Sally - My Custard Pie March 5, 2014 at 2:00 am #

Eyeing up that Kinfolk book. Hazel and Rosie are always at my feet (hoovering up crumbs) in my kitchen.
    Sally – My Custard Pie recently posted..… a drink with jam and breadMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 8:13 am #

Hi Sally, thanks for stopping by! I’ll be over to visit your blog too. Yes, our pups are a special part of our kitchen adventures, most especially the clean up crew. :)

6. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef March 5, 2014 at 4:47 am #

Those spoons and cutting board would have brought me to tears. How beautiful! You will use them and they’ll last a lifetime and every time you bring them out you’ll smile.

Silas is such a doll!

I don’t know if I’d play with the dog or look out the window – maybe a lot of both.
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..Vietnamese Grilled Pork Patty Skewers (Nem Nuong)My Profile

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 8:20 am #

They did, Maureen, I was a mess when I opened them. :’)

7. Mandy - The Complete Book March 5, 2014 at 6:13 am #

I think this is my favourite IMK post for the month. I love “just because” gifts, they are the best and how special to keep your rolling pin on your counter. Very special.
    Have a super day.
    :-) Mandy xo
    Mandy – The Complete Book recently posted..In My Kitchen – March 2014My Profile

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 8:22 am #

Thanks Mandy, that is sweet of you to say. :)

8. heidiI March 5, 2014 at 7:29 am #

Your kitchen is filled with love. I know all about gifts that are hard to put away for the simple pleasure of seeing them daily. My oldest son made me a shelf of church organ pipes from the old organ they pulled out of his church. I plan on hanging it in my kitchen- but I just like it sitting in front of me where I can lay hands on it often.
    I have one of those rolling pins- I forget to use it because I have such an emotional investment in my wooden pins (gifts from my sisters and handed down from my mother)- but it is great for caramel and also for pie dough- heavy though- so heavy for my arthritic wrists.
    Thanks so much for sharing!
    heidiI recently posted..March 2014- In my KitchenMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 5, 2014 at 8:25 am #

Hi Heidi, I know what you mean about having these things close enough to touch, I often run my fingers across the smooth cutting board imagining the work it took. These gifts have special meaning to both the giver and the receiver — priceless.

9. John@Kitchen Riffs March 5, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I love that cutting board! And I always enjoy the view from your kitchen window. Fun post — thanks.
    John@Kitchen Riffs recently posted..The Vieux Carré CocktailMy Profile

10. michael March 5, 2014 at 4:48 pm #

Lovely post, I really like the spoons! Your daughter did a great job on the spoons! :-)

Michael
    michael recently posted..Southern Butter BeansMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 6, 2014 at 6:45 am #

Hi Michael, yes, she really did a super job, thanks. Blessed this momma’s heart.

11. Lisa the Gourmet Wog March 5, 2014 at 8:21 pm #

You have a gorgeous friend Judy! A friend who brings flowers just because is certainly a keeper!
    Your daughters hand made gifts are certainly one to treasure. Just gorgeous.
    I’m intrigued with the Blackberry Jalapeno Compote! What a fascinating flavour combo! Yum
    Lisa the Gourmet Wog recently posted..In My Kitchen – March 2014…and an explanationMy Profile

12. Judy Purcell March 6, 2014 at 6:48 am #

Oh yes, I found some goat brie at Whole Foods yesterday for that Blackberry Jalapeno Compote — two firsts!

The handmade gifts and the friend are treasures I cherish, for sure. :)

13. mjskit March 6, 2014 at 8:40 am #

What a lovely day in the kitchen! Those spoons your daughter made are gorgeous. I would have a hard time using them as well.
    mjskit recently posted..Beans and Rice with Sausage – An Easy One Pot MealMy Profile

14. Raymund March 6, 2014 at 1:25 pm #

I love that marble rolling pin
    Raymund recently posted..Cheese SticksMy Profile

15. Michelle Trenholm March 7, 2014 at 8:49 pm #

Those flowers are too pretty! They could brighten up any room! Are they fresh flowers?

16. celia March 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm #

Judy, I’m so sorry to hear you haven’t been 100% – I hope you’re on the mend now. We’ve missed you! It’s so good to be looking out your kitchen window again – I love watching the seasons pass through it. What a glorious and precious gift from your daughter! xx
    celia recently posted..Little Amedei Chocolate CakesMy Profile

17. Hotly Spiced March 8, 2014 at 2:48 pm #

I love the view from your kitchen. The sky is so blue! I love how your daughter made you the board and those spoons – she’s very clever. And Silas looks like a wise old owl! Lovely glimpse into your kitchen, Judy xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Shark Attack Birthday CakeMy Profile

18. Karen (Back Road Journal) March 12, 2014 at 8:16 am #

What lovely treasures you have received from both your family and friend. All heartfelt gifts…I can just imagine the time that went into the cutting board and spoons.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..St. Patrick’s Day, When Everyone’s IrishMy Profile

19. Kim | a little lunch March 19, 2014 at 12:26 pm #

Judy, I hope all is well with you. Lingering health issues make the days run together, or so it seems. Your IMK treasures are so special — flowers from your dear friend, handmade gifts (gorgeous spoons & cutting board) and gifts from family — I hope they made you feel very loved! Silas is such a sweetie. :) All I can think of to say about the Blackberry Jalapeno Compote is “yes ma’am” back at’cha! That sounds really, really good.
    Kim | a little lunch recently posted..The Movies — More Than Just EntertainmentMy Profile

20. April @ The 21st Century Housewife March 28, 2014 at 6:31 am #

I really enjoyed this post, Judy. Your Silas looks like such a wonderful companion. I love the marble rolling pin, and the cutting board and wooden spoons your daughter carved are just gorgeous. What lovely gifts!
    April @ The 21st Century Housewife recently posted..No Churn Ice CreamMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2014 at 7:49 am #

Thanks April, Silas is a wonderful companion, always ready for post-cooking clean up. ;)

21. Adri March 30, 2014 at 6:20 pm #

What lovely things, and Silas is a beauty. Those spoons are wonderful. I do not know Kinfolk – I must investigate!

22. Judy Purcell March 31, 2014 at 7:52 am #

Hi Adri, so nice of you to stop by and take time to comment. I think you will like Kinfolk, the stories are inspiring. :)