I cook a lot and from time to time, I enjoy a break from it as much as anyone does. Saturday mornings are my favorite. Each morning during the week there is breakfast to make, kids to send out the door, and the business of managing the household before I can sit down to write. [...]
About Judy PurcellA writer and home cook with a passion for connecting family and friends with healthy, delicious food.
Armed with a fresh cup of coffee and a bowl of yogurt, my Friday blog-browsing ensued. A few short months ago, I had no idea what a Blog Hop was and less of a clue there was an entire community of them in the foodie blogosphere. A plethora of new discoveries, RSS feeds, subscriptions, comments, [...]
As winter gives way to spring, make sure you adorn your dinner plates with this mild winter squash before the season ends. Acorn squash contains Vitamin A, Vitamin C, potassium, manganese, folate (folic acid), and is good source of fiber—all that in one very simple and delicious side dish. Maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg bring [...]
Today, is the start of a new project: Test Kitchen Tuesdays I am working on a cookbook and presently in the stage of proofing recipes, as well as trying new recipes that may help round-out the book. The focus of the cookbook will be to show various ways to prepare a single recipe—economize, healthier ingredient [...]
A few months ago at one of our favorite restaurants, Paravicini’s Italian Bistro, we ordered the special, which was short ribs, osso buco style—and it was special, indeed—one of the best Italian dinners we have had. We asked how it was prepared, of course, because my husband suggested I try to make it at home [...]
Perusing food blogs this morning proved especially advantageous as I added a few new recipes to my “gotta try these” list and found this lovely blog by three sisters, Like Mother Like Daughters . I am one of three sisters and we have three daughters, so it made me a little sentimental reading their story thinking [...]
Leftover Fajitas are eaten rather quickly around our house, so if there is any hope to have a Fajita Salad, we have to claim what remains right away. Fajita beef, peppers, mushrooms, and onions over a bed of tender greens and avocado with a cilantro-lime dressing will make you think twice about getting wrapped-up in [...]
Do you ever comparison shop? Well, I often comparison surf, especially when it comes to refining recipes. Many of my recipes I consider tried and true, but I am always open for suggestions to improve technique, flavor, or nutritional value. Surfing for cornbread recipes will lead you on an endless journey considering regional differences, add-ins, [...]
A few months ago, I discovered Sister’s Pantry Peanut Sauce at Whole Foods while on the hunt for new ways to prepare vegetables. It put a great new twist on quick stir-fry meals with a nutty, tangy-sweet, spice that we love. Bottled sauces and marinades have the advantage of easy, but the cost can be [...]
As the last sip of Guatemala Casi Cielo left my cup, I stumbled upon this delightful blog, Animal Instinct, about farm life and learning to bake a pie with a 94-year-old friend. I like to see folks with 94-year-old friends who still bake, it makes me hopeful that I will still be stirring pots at [...]
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 23, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 14, 2013
- Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt May 7, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 7, 2013
- In My Kitchen, May 2013 May 1, 2013
- paul: Great recipe... great flavor, fresh vegetable wond...
- john@kitchenriffs: I was wondering what happened to it! I need my fi...
- Maureen | Orgasmic Chef: Another group of fantastic dishes! I don't know ...
- Gourmantine: It sounds you've been seriously busy lately, but ...
- Judy Purcell: Hi Pam, thanks so much for taking time to let me k...