Have you discovered quinoa yet? Go ahead, say it with me — Keen-wah This ancient South American grain the Incas called “the mother of all grains” has become increasingly popular here in the U.S. since it was introduced in the 1990′s. We first discovered quinoa a couple of years ago when searching for alternatives [...]
What is it about Italian food? Is it the simplicity of fresh flavors we love so much? I have often wondered if basil comes in a perfume … the sweet aroma draws me in like nothing else. Garlic? Oh yes, please. Cheese, bread, wine … yes, the Italians have got it goin’ on. Then there [...]
There are those meals you select knowing you are going to put extra effort into it. You buy the freshest ingredients, dedicate a chunk of time to fuss over it, accept no substitutions, no excuses, you go all-out. Emeril‘s Butternut Squash Lasagna with Italian Sausage and Sage is one of those planned indulgences. I invited [...]
Each week as I review scores of recipes for Test Kitchen Tuesday, I am reminded of the endless possibilities in the culinary world—flavors, textures, temperatures, all waiting to be explored. Like any great adventure, disappointment and thrill are part of the risk and reward. Last week, the Tuscan Garlic Chicken Pasta was a disappointment. However, [...]
This is one of those recipes I have had tucked away for a long time–anything with six cloves of garlic has promise, right. Pasta dishes are ideal for a quick weeknight meal, use Tinkyada brown rice pasta and it’s gluten-free too. Basil is at its peak right now, available at most farmers markets—I anticipate that [...]
Simple Italy is a blog that I follow (yes, it does feed my inner Italian) and when this recipe arrived in my inbox this morning, I instantly found inspiration for Test Kitchen Tuesday. I simply cannot wait to try this dish! It is no secret that we love Italian food, but Spaghetti Al Farouk is [...]
Of course, you can throw the usual burgers and brats on the grill, but if you’re feeding more than a handful of people burgers can be dry or cold before your guests get one on a bun. BBQ Pulled Pork and Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are an ideal choice to feed a crowd. Easily prepared ahead [...]
Butter, cream, cheese, are all part of this beloved classic sauce. The interpretations can vary widely, somewhere between bland and flat to overly salty and processed tasting due to fillers in place of real cream. I avoid ordering Alfredo in restaurants for that reason, never knowing which side of the spectrum to expect. I like [...]
Grilling is more than an occasional summertime excuse for a party around our house—it is a year-round brave-the-weather habit. Over the weekend, temperatures hit the 80° mark here in Colorado and my cedar planks were ready for duty. This recipe was used to grill chicken for Chicken Alfredo and it was amazing with its [...]
This popular takeout dish will make you want to grab chopsticks and dig in, unless of course, a fork is closer. But who needs takeout? With just a little extra care in the prep, this dish comes together quickly and easily with beefy, noodley, tender vegetables in savory perfection. Preparing Beef Lo Mein at home [...]
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 14, 2013
- Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt May 7, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 7, 2013
- In My Kitchen, May 2013 May 1, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today April 30, 2013
- Judy Purcell: Hi Pam, thanks so much for taking time to let me k...
- Pam: I made this cake the other day and it got rave rev...
- Nilu A: Wow! Congrats on your garden Judy.. Lovely collect...
- Pure Complex: Okay I will admit it.. it took me a while to stop ...
- Phill: It's so nice to have friends like Helen and i'm ...