Saturday night friends came over to help us test the Chile-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos recipe from the Test Kitchen challenge last week. The tacos received rave reviews, truly a fantastic recipe. This sauce was a little something extra I created to garnish the tacos in place of sour cream. Habaneros really bring the heat, so [...]
Over the years, I have collected stacks of cooking magazines with dog-eared pages hoping to create a few of them in my own kitchen. Test Kitchen Tuesday presents the opportunity to do just that. Last night I rediscovered this recipe from last year’s May issue of Food & Wine—Chile-Spiced Skirt Steak Tacos—and I cannot wait [...]
It does not get any easier than a recipe with only two ingredients. Making fresh corn tortillas is a simple way to add new interest to familiar recipes. The technique may take a little practice, but it is worth the learning curve when you sink your teeth into authenticity. The soft texture and sweet corn [...]
You know what it is like cooking for a family—you cannot please everybody all the time. Wherever two or more opinions are gathered there is rarely 100% agreement over what to have for dinner, except when Tri-Tip is on the menu. We discovered tri-tip when we lived in California years ago and it remains our [...]
Luncheon, appetizer, or light summer dinner, Curry Chicken Salad is refreshingly simple. The original recipe calls for halved grapes, which are wonderful and juicy, but easier to eat with a fork. Serving this classic salad with dried fruit in crisp lettuce boats eliminates the need for heavy breads or unwieldy utensils. I prefer the contrast [...]
It’s Test Kitchen Tuesday, so it is time to add something new to the recipe collection. Seafood Lo Mein sounds so good right now, I am looking forward to trying this recipe I discovered on emerils.com—the sesame oiled noodle cake really piques my interest. Just glancing at the ingredient list, I can tell already that [...]
Having friends over to watch the NCAA Championship game tonight? We served these Bacon-Chicken-Jalapeno Poppers at our Super Bowl get-together and they were a hit. This recipe is inspired by one at Salad in a Jar, with some adjustment to include seasoning for the chicken. I opted for a cast iron skillet over grilling to [...]
Even though we don’t eat sweets much anymore, I can appreciate the talent and passion others have for confections. Today’s feature includes two because I just couldn’t decide which I liked better—this is what I call food art. Browse their sites, enjoy their beautiful work, relax a little as you slip into the weekend. Chocolate [...]
Asparagus is the star of spring vegetables, a perennial favorite cultivated in gardens and found growing wild throughout the country. I remember spotting patches of wild asparagus along country roads growing up in Missouri; it was as common as hunting for morel mushrooms. Fun as foraging can be, these coveted spears of spring are readily [...]
I thought it would be nice to try a new cookie recipe for Test Kitchen Tuesday this week. Although we do not eat sweets much anymore, I am still open to treats worthy of a special occasion. Since Oreos are made with hydrogenated oils, a homemade version could prove to be a great alternative. This [...]
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 14, 2013
- Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt May 7, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 7, 2013
- In My Kitchen, May 2013 May 1, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today April 30, 2013
- Judy Purcell: Hi Pam, thanks so much for taking time to let me k...
- Pam: I made this cake the other day and it got rave rev...
- Nilu A: Wow! Congrats on your garden Judy.. Lovely collect...
- Pure Complex: Okay I will admit it.. it took me a while to stop ...
- Phill: It's so nice to have friends like Helen and i'm ...