Homemade spice mix for fajitas, tacos, burritos and dips.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch (non-GMO), or arrowroot powder (Paleo)
- 2 teaspoons chili powder, or a combination of chile powders (see note)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coconut palm sugar
- 1 teaspoon mesquite smoked sea salt (see recipe note for smoke flavor substitute)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl or shake in a small jar until well combined. Store in an air tight container. Use 1 to 2 tablespoons per 1 pound of meat, to taste.
If powdered mesquite smoked salt is not available, substitute 2 teaspoons liquid smoke by adding to the wet ingredients of a recipe. Single chile powders can sub for the chili powder i.e. a combination of Ancho and Chipotle chile powders.