Skillet Beef Fajitas
Beef fajitas stir-fried in a cast iron skillet with peppers, onions, and mushrooms.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time40 mins
Servings: 6 Servings
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil , or olive oil
- 1 small sweet yellow onion , sliced, pole to pole
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 pound tri-tip , skirt steak, or flap steak, cut across the grain into 1/2 in x 2 in strips
- 8 ounces mushrooms , cleaned and quartered
- 1 orange bell pepper (or a mix of yellow, orange, green), seeded & sliced
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons Fajita Seasoning Mix Recipe , or ready-made Mesquite Fajita Seasoning (see notes)
- 12 (6-inch) Corn or flour tortillas, or butter lettuce leaves (Paleo)
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and beginning to brown at the edges, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the steak to the skillet and cook until browned, but still rare, about 5 minutes.
Stir-in the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, or until mushroom wilt and release moisture. Add the bell pepper and sprinkle the lime over everything. Allow to simmer uncovered for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Peppers should be only tender, not soft. Sprinkle evenly with 1 tablespoon of Fajita Mix Seasoning and a couple tablespoons of water; stir well to coat with the seasoning and cook another minute. Taste and add more seasoning, as desired. If pan seems too dry add a little more water.
Warm flour tortillas in the microwave for 1-2 minutes in a tortilla warmer to soften or in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds each side.
Warm corn tortillas in a dry skillet over medium-high heat for 30 seconds on each side to soften. Fill the warmed tortillas and garnish with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
Time Saver: The beef can be prepped and frozen in advance. The remaining ingredients can be prepped up to three days in advance.
Nutrition Info does not include garnishes.
- Use ready-made Mesquite Fajita Mix by Savoring Today
- Stir in 1 cup of cherry tomatoes with the peppers for a pop of color.
Calories: 306kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 70mg | Potassium: 567mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 620IU | Vitamin C: 29.9mg | Calcium: 73mg | Iron: 2.2mg