Smoked Turkey & Bean Soup
A twist on traditional ham and navy bean soup using Diestel Smoked Turkey Thighs and cannellini (white kidney) beans.
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 15 mins
Dissolve 1 teaspoon baking soda in 4 quarts water in a large pot. Add beans and soak at room temperature for at least 8 hours. Drain and rinse well.
Chop onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Heat oil in large soup pot or pressure cooker over medium heat and cook onion, carrot, and celery caramelized. Mix in garlic and cook until fragrant. (If using a slow cooker, transfer softened vegetables to the cooker at this point and continue with remaining instructions.)
Stir in soaked and rinsed beans, lentils, turkey thighs or drumsticks, and bay leaf to the pot; cover with broth or stock. Be sure to add enough liquid to cover with 2-3 inches above ingredients to allow beans to absorb liquid.
The exact amount of broth will depend on the amount of meat added. Additional water may be needed. *See Note for pressure cooker method.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 hours on the stove or 4-6 hours in a crockpot set on low. Add spices and bouillon the last hour or so, adjust until desired flavor is reached. Salt and pepper to taste.
Before serving, remove bones and large pieces of turkey from the pot; allow to cool slightly on a platter. Once cool enough to handle, separate meat from the bones and any unappealing connective tissue. Return meat to the pot and discard bones.
Serve with cornbread and honey-butter.
Pressure Cooker Method:
- Once the onion, celery, carrot and garlic are softened, add all the ingredients to the pot, including spices.
- Bring soup to pressure based on manufacturer's instructions. Reduce heat enough to keep at pressure for 15 minutes. Beans should be soft and ready for salt and pepper, to taste.
- Before serving, remove bones and large pieces of turkey from the pot; allow to cool slightly on a platter.
- Once cool enough to handle, separate meat from the bones and any unappealing connective tissue. Return meat to the pot and discard bones.
- Optional additions or substitutions: turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, kale, red bell pepper, or hot green chilies
Calories: 251kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 1101mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1745IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 5.8mg