Grilled Chile-Lime Skirt Steak Tacos
Grilled chile-lime marinated skirt steak with a medium heat spice ideal for stuffing tacos.
Prep Time6 hrs
Cook Time10 mins
Marinating Time4 hrs
Total Time6 hrs 10 mins
- 2 tablespoons garlic -- minced
- 3 tablespoons coconut palm sugar -- or brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil -- or avocado oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak
Garnishes and Extras:
- Rainbow Slaw (below) or 2 cups cabbage -- shaved or thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 avocados -- sliced for garnish
- 1 lime -- sliced into wedges for garnish
- Pico De Gallo (below)
- Habanero-Cilantro Taco Sauce
- Corn Tortillas or Bibb Lettuce for wraps (Paleo)
In a gallon-sized Ziploc® bag combine all the dry spices, sugar, salt and pepper. Add the lime juice, liquid smoke, oil, and fresh garlic and shake or massage the bag with your hands until well blended and sugar is mostly dissolved. Add the steak to the bag making sure the marinade covers all of the steak. Seal the bag and let the steak marinate in the refrigerator for 4-5 hours, or up to 24 hours. An hour before grilling, remove the steak from the refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan. Grill the steak over med-high heat until seared on the outside and medium-rare within, about 5 minutes on each side depending on the thickness of the steak (thinner steak will take less time). Transfer the steak to a cutting board, tent with foil, and let rest for 8-10 minutes.
Thinly slice the steak, cutting across the grain--you may need to rotate the steak and cut from another edge if the strips get too long (it's okay if the pieces aren't exactly the same size). Serve in warm tortillas and garnish with cabbage, fresh avocado, Pico, Habanero-Cilantro Sauce, and fresh lime wedges.
The steak is medium spiced to allow for added heat with the pico or habanero sauce. For spicier steak, increase chipotle chile powder or add cayenne for intense heat.
*Prep time includes marinating time.
Nutritional information includes the recipe ingredients only. Garnishes must be figured separately.
Calories: 528kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 39g | Fat: 34g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 107mg | Sodium: 739mg | Potassium: 1032mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 875IU | Vitamin C: 11.3mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 4.1mg