Wholesome Apple-Cranberry Crisp
An old fashioned Cranberry-Apple Crisp updated with unrefined sugar or flour, creating a wholesome and gluten-free treat.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time40 mins
- 2 large apples , cored, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, about 3 cups (see note about types)
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 teaspoons coconut flour -- or sweet rice flour
- 3/4 cup coconut palm sugar
- small pinch sea salt
- 2/3 cup old fashion rolled oats (use gluten-free)
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts , or pecans
- 1/2 cup almond flour -- or 3 tbsp. sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter , softened, plus more for preparing pan
Heat oven to 350°F. Combine apples, cranberries, coconut flour, 3/4 cup of sugar, and pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl, stirring until the apples and cranberries are evenly covered. Spread over the bottom of a buttered 9x9-inch or 9x11-inch casserole dish.
In a small mixing bowl, combine oatmeal, walnuts, almond flour, 1/3 cup of sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in softened butter until thoroughly combined and mixture breaks into relatively even, small clumps (sometimes using your fingers to mix in the butter works better). Sprinkle the crumb mixture evenly over the fruit and bake uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until topping is golden brown and cranberries are soft.
Serve for breakfast or brunch over plain yogurt or for dessert with vanilla ice cream.
Calories: 321kcal | Carbohydrates: 38g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 114mg | Potassium: 153mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 280IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 40mg | Iron: 1.1mg