Our guest today is Barb, a.k.a. Smidge, at Just a Smidgen Barb writes an eloquent and elegant blog—I promise you, a single visit will bring beauty to your world. Decor, recipes, DIY projects, photography, and poetry are all woven with a common theme of intentionally celebrating everything beautiful in life. You will recognize her passion for art and poetry in everything she does, whether it’s weaving a Spring Cherry Blossom Wreath, tossing a Sunshine Salad, or baking Cardamom Orange Zest Pansy Sugar Cookies. Yes, she decorates cookies with real, edible flowers. I know you’ll enjoy the artistry she shares at Just a Smidgen and you’ll quickly see how lovely Smidge is, inside and out.
Spicy Mexican Taco Bites
Thank you, Judy, for asking me to post a recipe here today. It is not just an honor to be asked to share on your beautiful blog that is filled with great recipes and lovely photography.. but it is also a joy that you consider me friend enough to call on when in need. Too often, I think we suffer in silence, working feverishly to try to keep things together, to make a go of it on our own, all the while forgetting that there is a wealth of ready, willing and able friends just hoping to be asked to assist. I know you passed your surgery with flying colors, so I look forward to reading of your full recovery.. and I’m thrilled, in the meantime, to be introduced to all of the other wonderful guest bloggers that you are sharing with us! Our community of bloggers stretches around the earth and discovering new blogs to add to our list of people to follow is so awesome! That’s what your blog is all about, isn’t it? Connecting family & friends.. with healthy, delicious food!
There’s been a great deal of catching up going on around our home, we’ve just returned from a wonderful trip to sunny California, where we were blessed with a heat wave as a respite from our nasty, never-ending winter! We spent many days wandering beaches and taking lovely photos.. I’ll share more of them another time.
Returning home to family responsibilities and a busy schedule is always such a whirlwind, I was searching for a quick recipe to throw together one night. I was inspired by another blogger’s tacos, but needed something original that I could share with you. I considered my Lasagna Bites recipe and decided to put a spicy Mexican spin on them. It was Cinco de Mayo after all!
So little ready-made wontons were tucked into muffin tins, sprayed lightly with cooking spray, filled with spicy salsa, chicken and beans, topped with cheese and baked. I know this is my son’s favorite kind of meal because they didn’t last long. But they were also my kind of recipe because they came together quickly. Going forward, I’m going to try to make these even smaller next time, I think they’d be pretty on a canape plate.
I decided not to Google these sorts of recipes until after these were put in the oven.. but sure enough.. they’ve been “invented” before. Is there anything new left to be discovered in the world of recipes? Maybe not.. but there are always new blogs.. and new friendships to be made!
Spicy Mexican Taco Bites
- 1 package ready-made wontons
- Cooking spray
- ½ deli roasted chicken , shredded
- ½ yellow bell pepper , diced
- 3 garlic cloves , minced
- 1 ½ (403 ml) jars salsa
- ½ (127ml) can chopped green chiles
- 3 tbsp sliced black olives
- ½ (15-ounce) can black beans , rinsed and drained
- ½ Package (340g) Tex Mex Shredded Cheese
- Sour cream
- scallions (green onions), diced
- avocados , sliced
- small tomatoes , sliced
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place one won ton wrapper in each muffin tin, pressing down in the corners. Spray lightly with cooking spray then set aside.
- Mix together the chicken, bell pepper, garlic, salsa, chilis and black olives. Heat over medium heat until heated through. Remove from heat.
- Spoon a small spoonful of black beans into each prepared wonton cup. Fill with the heated chicken mixture. Sprinkle cheese over top of each one.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the mixture is heated through, the cheese is melting and the wontons have browned. Remove and cool until you can handle them. Remove from the muffin tin and top with any of the garnishes.