The teams have been decided, the Giants and Patriots will square off in the big game February 5, but the food is still up for debate. Whether you are intent on the game or prefer to invite folks over to enjoy the commercials together (for some, that’s the only reason they watch), the Super Bowl is a great excuse for a casual party. Hosting the Super Bowl can be serious stuff, motivating big screen TV purchases all over the country—I mean, it’s the game that draws the crowd, right. Well, mostly.
We are not one of those couples who host so the ladies have something to do while the men watch the game, fortunately, most of my girlfriends watch too. The time to chitchat is during pregame or halftime, so be sure to get here early to nosh and catch up on life. Of course, if you are not a fan of football or one of the teams playing, be sure to invite some friends more than happy to socialize between commercials (you don’t want to miss those).
As much we focus on the game, the food is a close second. So much so, this week and next we will highlight party foods you can make for a Super Bowl party or any gathering.
This recipe is for anyone who would rather keep their hot wing sauce on the chicken and off their fingers (or the remote). Buffalo Chicken Dip has all the flavors we adore about Buffalo wings, without leaving a pile of bones behind. (It’s always a little embarrassing to have the biggest pile of bones, so I can appreciate “no evidence” eating.) I do love my wings, so I wanted a dip with distinct layers and textures, somewhere close to that first bite you get with just the right touch of dressing hugging the wing.
Meaty chunks of sauce covered chicken resting on a bed of cream cheese with real bites of blue cheese to top it off—that is the kind of Buffalo Chicken Dip we’ll be serving. Only one napkin required. 😉
Adapted from David Garrard’s Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter -- melted
- 1 heaping teaspoon garlic -- minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese -- softened
- 2 cups cooked chicken -- shredded (rotisserie chicken works great)
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce + 2 tablespoons -- (Texas Pete)
- ⅓ cup cheese -- shredded -- your choice (fontina, mozzarella, Jack)
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ¼ cup scallions -- coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Melt butter with garlic and set aside. Wet fingertips with water and evenly press cream cheese into the bottom of an 8x8 casserole dish.
- Toss shredded chicken, sauce, butter and garlic, ⅓ cup of favorite cheese in a bowl. Add more wing sauce if mixture looks too dry. Spread chicken mixture over the cream cheese and top with blue cheese crumbles.
- Bake uncovered for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven and garnish with chopped scallions before serving.
Shared on the following Blog Hops:
Hearth & Soul Hop