This Watermelon Blueberry Salad hits the mark for healthy, colorful 4th of July side dishes! A garnish of mint is the pop of cooling flavor we love on a hot day.
Everyone loves this super easy side dish recipe for any summer barbecue.
Watermelon and feta balanced each other with sweet and salt, blueberries add plump texture, and a scant shower of mint is the pop of cooling flavor we love on a hot day.
It’s easy enough to eyeball the mix so there’s hardly need for a recipe.
Measurements aren’t even necessary, but I do recommend starting with the watermelon to gauge how big of a salad you want and fill in from there. The photo gives you an idea of the proportions that appeal to me though yours will look different based on your preferences.
Only a few mint leaves will be needed, so you can use the rest of the package to make a pitcher of mint water, ice tea, or mojitos—why not make the afternoon feel like a vacation?!
Here’s all you need:
I hope you enjoy the beauty of this salad, not only for its visual appeal, but how easy it is to make.
- 1 small Watermelon , cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3-4 ounces Fresh blueberries , whole
- 2 ounces Feta cheese , crumbled
- A few mint leaves , torn into small pieces
- Watermelon tends to bruise when tossed in a bowl, so it is best to layer it with the blueberries in a shallow bowl or on a platter then garnish with the feta and mint to gauge a visual for each component.
- Take a bite of the watermelon and feta together to determine how small the crumbles should be and how much to add—remember, this is all about what YOU prefer.
- I leave the mint in small torn pieces rather than chopping too fine so it's easier for someone (kids) to pick out.
Happy Independence Day America!