There are those meals you select knowing you are going to put extra effort into it.  You buy the freshest ingredients, dedicate a chunk of time to fuss over it, accept no substitutions, no excuses, you go all-out.  Emeril‘s Butternut Squash Lasagna with Italian Sausage and Sage is one of those planned indulgences.  I invited my cooking buddy over to indulge with me and we got started at 3:00 for a 6:30 dinner.  Don’t let the time investment dampen your enthusiasm for trying this dish; it is worth every minute, besides new recipes always take longer.

I like butternut squash prepared savory rather than sweet, so this recipe was especially appealing to me. Tender squash seasoned with fresh marjoram, thyme, and bay leaf, accompanied by Honeycrisp apple, fennel, and onion. Fennel sausage, fresh sage leaves and toasted hazelnuts join the mix, rounding out flavors and imparting a hearty texture.  Oh, and it is lasagna, so ricotta, mascarpone, mozzarella, and Parmigiano-Reggiano set the stage for a sensational dinner.

When you pick up a copy of Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders for yourself, mark page 76 for a cold fall afternoon and invite a small army of friends over for dinner.  I had to split this between two pans, the smaller of the two went directly to the freezer and we still had 8-10 servings.

Everyone loved it, each of us trying to describe our delight at the same time. Our daughter said, “This tastes like fall. It’s a little sweet, but then it’s not.” She was right, every bite was a nuance of engaging flavors. By the time we finished dinner, we finally agreed on a single word to describe it–delicious!

Click on the Photo for Order Info

Emeril’s Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders is now available!  Butternut Squash Lasagna with Italian Sausage and Sage and more than 130 other delectable recipes are compiled in this great cookbook.  Just click on the link or the photo to order yours and start enjoying them today.

Disclosure: For my participation in The Secret Ingredient’s One-Pot Blogger Cooking Party, I received a copy of Sizzling Skillets and Other One-Pot Wonders, a jar of Emeril’s Essence seasoning, and a set of Emeril – by zak! Table Art 7-piece. Once the party concludes, upon my successful completion, I will receive a $50 grocery reimbursement and a set of Emeril’s cookbooks.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Emeril’s Butternut Squash Lasagna with Italian Sausage and Sage: One-Pot Wonderful

1. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet September 28, 2011 at 5:21 pm #

Looks amazing!! I am going to dog ear this one too!! Great post!!!

2. diabeticfoodie September 28, 2011 at 5:32 pm #

I love winter squash. This looks fabulous!

3. Savory Simple September 28, 2011 at 7:22 pm #

This sounds fantastic!

4. ChgoJohn September 29, 2011 at 7:07 am #

I love squash and I love lasagna. Marrying the 2 is a great idea. Leave it to Emeril.

5. The Secret Ingredient September 29, 2011 at 7:27 am #

I love it! I absolutely cannot wait to try this one out. Thanks for recommending. :) (KC)

6. Tracey September 29, 2011 at 7:39 am #

I love your pictures, the dish looks so appetizing! I’m a huge fan of butternut squash so I’m eager to try this one too. I just need to get some friends over to help me eat it since my husband isn’t a squash fan :)

7. sportsglutton September 29, 2011 at 8:38 am #

Sounds like a harmonous blend of deliciousness!

8. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 29, 2011 at 10:03 am #

What a great pairing.

9. Pati September 29, 2011 at 7:25 pm #

This dish has now become one of my favorites. Each bite produced different flavor blends too incredible to describe. Great job Emeril…sometimes delicious just doesn’t cover it! Love being your neighbor Judy.

• Judy September 30, 2011 at 6:25 am #

Always love doing food (and life) with you, friend :)

10. Bob Stephens September 30, 2011 at 12:15 pm #

Was lucky enough to sample Judy’s creation pictured above. It was phenomenal … exquisite … delicious … and I had a huge plate of seconds!

• Judy October 1, 2011 at 7:41 am #

Aw, thanks Bob, for taking time to stop by and comment :) Food is always better when shared with friends!

11. Pat November 18, 2011 at 9:35 am #

Judy, would this work as a side dish for a large crowd for Thanksgiving? I was thinking that with the sage, savory flavors, it might work.

• Judy November 18, 2011 at 9:51 am #

Yes, Pat, I think it would work as a side for a large crowd, excellent as leftovers too. It is a bit involved, so you might think about putting it together the night before. Great idea having it at Thanksgiving :)