Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt

Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea  Salt | Savoring TodayAlways on the lookout to make recipes healthier as well as great tasting, awhile back I was looking for healthy desserts. You know something I could feel good about eating, but would also make my eyes roll all the way back in my head with sheer delight.

Yeah, that kind.

It would have to involve chocolate because that’s where I live when it comes to dessert. I struck gold with these Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt and could hardly wait to share them with you.

In my search, I landed on two promising chocolate desserts—German-Chocolate Fudge Bites and Sweet Potato Brownies—and immediately set out to try them. Starting with the Sweet Potato Brownies, I noticed avocado in the ingredient list, a healthy fat used all over the blogging world in chocolate desserts for its creamy texture. I decided it was time to see what the avocado-in-chocolate-dessert thing was all about and from the photo on the recipe the brownies looked to be the fudge-gooey texture I was hoping to enjoy.

Unfortunately, it was a no-go for me. I love avocado and enjoy it often, but it will never land in chocolate dessert for me again. For all those who claim “you can’t even taste the avocado” or “you’d never guess there was avocado in there,” I would say, “Oh yes I can, and I don’t care for it, thanks.”

As much as I avoid eating food that isn’t healthy, I don’t eat something just because it is healthy—it absolutely must taste good and worthy of savoring.

The German-Chocolate Fudge Bites recipe by Chocolate Covered Katie was a whole different story. Although the ingredient list had pecans and coconut like German chocolate frosting, I did not find the final product all that similar, but still very good. With a few adjustments to kick-up the decadence factor just a little, this recipe for chocolate covered fudge in bite-size convenience has found a permanent place in my recipe file (and my refrigerator).

The only refined sugar in these treats is the small amount in the chocolate chips you might use. Dates provide all the sweetness you’ll need, as well as a host of other goodies like fiber, potassium, copper, manganese, magnesium, Vitamin B6, and iron. While fruit sweeteners are a better choice than refined sugar, it is still important to enjoy these in moderation.

I love that they are a small, yet satisfying treat.

One drawback is that this recipe does require equipment; you will need a food processor to accomplish a smooth texture. Otherwise, you’ll need less than 30 minutes of hands-0n time with additional time to allow mixture to ‘set’ while in the freezer and fridge to enjoy chocolaty fudge bliss.

Unlike the Double Chocolate Truffles we made at Christmas, which were melt-away creamy in the center, Date-Chocolate Truffles are more dense with a deep chocolate-fudge flavor, much like a brownie, and covered in solid chocolate. Pecans and coconut help to provide structure with only a slight coconut nuance to the pronounced chocolate flavor. The type of cocoa and melting chocolate you choose will determine whether they lean more toward milk or dark chocolate. A sprinkling of coarse sea salt is the perfect finish to balance the richness, though you will enjoy them salted or not.

Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt | Savoring Today

Adapted from German-Chocolate Fudge Bites by Chocolate Covered Katie

Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt

Prep time

Serves / Yields: 18-22 1 inch truffles
Ingredients
  • ¾ cup dates -- pitted (8-10 dates, packed)
  • ½ cup pecans -- or walnuts
  • ⅓ cup shredded coconut meat
  • ¼ cup chocolate chips -- semi-sweet or bittersweet
  • 2 rounded tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (no need to be exact here)
  • ⅛ teaspoon sea salt -- fine grind
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate -- melted for dipping
  • coarse sea salt -- for finishing
Instructions
  1. Place dates, pecans, coconut, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and sea salt in a food processor and pulse to incorporate the ingredients. If the cocoa powder clings to the sides of the processor bowl, after 8 or 9 pulses, stop processing and scrape down sides. Sprinkle the vanilla extract over the mixture and process on high for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture forms a consistent paste. There is no worry of over mixing, so allowing the processor to continue to run a little longer is okay.
  2. Using a melon baller or a tablespoon, scoop small amounts of the truffle mix into the palm of your hand and roll or press into 1" size balls and place on a wax paper lined rimmed pan with a space between each. Depending on the size, this recipe should yield 18-22 bite-sized truffles.
  3. Once all the mix is formed, place the pan of truffles in the freezer and freeze until firm, about 1 hour. The truffles need to be firm enough to not fall apart when dipped in chocolate.
  4. When ready to cover the truffles in chocolate, melt 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler. Remove truffles from the freezer and one-by-one, roll in the melted chocolate with a spoon until covered. Try to cover as thinly as possible, then transfer coated truffle back to the wax paper lined pan about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle a small amount of coarse sea salt on top of each one before the chocolate hardens.
  5. Repeat until all the truffles are covered in chocolate and salted.
  6. Place pan in the refrigerator to allow chocolate to set, 30 minutes to an hour. Transfer truffles to a zip top bag or container and store in the refrigerator.
Notes & Suggestions
Use chocolate chips based on your own preference. Semi-sweet chips will yield a sweeter milk chocolate flavor, bittersweet chips will yield a dark chocolate flavor.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 10

Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt | Savoring Today

As we prepare for the graduation of our youngest daughter in just a couple of weeks, I am taking a short break. Hearth & Soul Hop will continue, but for this brief time my full attention will be with our daughter, celebrating and savoring every moment. In the planning stages of her graduation party, I mentioned to her we had a limited number of formal announcements and that she would need to create a Facebook event to invite school friends. The next time I was on Facebook and saw the notification for the event the conversation went something like this:

Me: Did you just invite 487 people to the party?

Kristen: No, more like 517.

Me: Kristen, we can’t fit that many people in our house … (sounding alarmed, I might add)

Kristen: Don’t worry, Mom, it’s Facebook, less than half will show up anyway.

Me: Uh, that’s still over 200 people … (while trying to figure out in my head how many pulled pork sandwiches I’ll be prepping)

Kristen: It will be fine, Mom.

No worries, right?!

I’ll have to let you know. ;)

Shared on the following Blog Hops:
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday

, , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt

1. ChgoJohn May 7, 2013 at 11:29 pm #

Avocado in chocolate? I don’t think so and thanks, Judy, for testing that hypothesis for us all. Your turffles, on the other hand, sound fantastic. Pairing these with those that you made for Christmas and what a holiday platter they’d make. Just keep them away from where I’m seated. It wouldn’t be pretty, I’m afraid. :)
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Split Pea SoupMy Profile

2. Raymund May 8, 2013 at 1:12 am #

The salt on it would give that truffles another dimension, the contrasting taste would be so good.
    Raymund recently posted..Vietnamese Style Grilled Lemongrass PorkMy Profile

3. Eva Taylor May 8, 2013 at 4:46 am #

Now that’s dangerous, a Facebook party. Nothing good can come of that. I wish you well.
    The truffles look wonderful and not overly sweet.
    Eva Taylor recently posted..Hello Spring and Strawberry Short Cake with Angel Food CakeMy Profile

4. Hotly Spiced May 8, 2013 at 5:41 am #

Good luck with that party! I went through all of that with my daughter last year. It was horrific and wonderful all at the same time. We had so many incredible celebrations however, I am glad to put it behind me. I love the chocolates – let’s hope you don’t have to make 500 of those! xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Hummingbird CakeMy Profile

5. Angie@Angie's Recipes May 8, 2013 at 8:39 am #

These are some sinful and irresistible little treats!
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Five Grain Spelt Bread with Grapeseed Flour and Malt ExtractMy Profile

6. john@kitchenriffs May 8, 2013 at 9:36 am #

I’ve seen those avocado in chocolate recipes, and I’ve been wondering. You’ve confirmed what I suspected – thanks for saving me the trouble of trying it (although it was way, way down on my list of stuff to try anyway!). Great truffles! I gotta share this with Mrs K R – she’s really into those desserts that make her eyes roll way back in her head with sheer delight! Great recipe, and thanks. We’ll miss you while you’re gone – good luck with that party!
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Black-Walnut SandiesMy Profile

7. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) May 8, 2013 at 12:08 pm #

Food processor (check), dates that need to me used (check), pecans (check), chocolate (check) equals I have no reason not to make these. Sound great Judy!
    Jed Gray (sportsglutton) recently posted..Houston Astros: Tang Ice Cream w/ Toasted PecansMy Profile

8. Julia | JuliasAlbum.com May 9, 2013 at 1:49 am #

Date fudge in chocolate sounds absolutely delicious! Plus, sea salt – I am craving these right now! Pinned!
    Julia | JuliasAlbum.com recently posted..Macaroni and cheese with bacon and caramelized onionsMy Profile

9. Amy (Savory Moments) May 9, 2013 at 4:43 am #

These truffles look absolutely fantastic! I love that you used dates in them rather than sugar. I bet they are sweet and delicious. Nice work!
    Amy (Savory Moments) recently posted..Creamy potato and ramp soupMy Profile

10. Nusrat Azim May 9, 2013 at 9:43 am #

Truffles to die for !
    I’m up for new flavors, new shake-ups, new jazz. So can’t wait to try them sexy lookin’ Truffles ! :)
    Nusrat Azim recently posted..Fried PomfretMy Profile

11. Karen (Back Road Journal) May 9, 2013 at 3:45 pm #

It sounds like you are going to be very busy…make sure you keep some of your truffles on hand to keep you calm. They sound delicious.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Harira, A Moroccan Chickpea And Lentil SoupMy Profile

12. Pure Complex May 17, 2013 at 10:07 am #

Okay I will admit it.. it took me a while to stop looking at the chocolate and focus on making a comment lol. I love that you added sea salt to this. This looks absolutely amazing.
    Pure Complex recently posted..Kitchen / Horseradish Dill Potato SaladMy Profile

13. Alice June 8, 2013 at 7:11 am #

A delicious idea and I’ve often heard that dates work well as a substitute for fudge and truffles. Even the texture look so moreish and I think folks would be hard pressed to spot the difference. (Coconut & dates…yum!)

• Judy Purcell June 9, 2013 at 7:26 am #

Thanks Alice, for stopping by and taking the time to comment. :) It was great to discover your blog — hope to see you around! Yes, the dates work very well here, if you didn’t know it was made with dates, you’d never guess.

14. Belinda Y. Hughes September 27, 2013 at 7:42 am #

Congrats on your grad! Hoping she’s had a great start to her next life step. I can’t wait to try these truffles, though it will be with a vegan chocolate chip substitution.
    Belinda Y. Hughes recently posted..Dairy Free Vegan Bread RecipesMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 27, 2013 at 9:01 am #

Hi Belinda, thanks for stopping by and commenting. :) And thanks for the congrats, she has had a great step forward in her life, which is comfort to a mamma’s heart. I do hope you try the truffles, they are so good, my husband turns down Lindt truffles for these. Let me know how they turn out for you if you do, I alwasy appreciate feedback. :)

15. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book October 17, 2013 at 8:23 am #

Oh wow, these truffles are heavenly! What a fabulous recipe Judy.
    :-) Mandy xo
    Mandy – The Complete Cook Book recently posted..Workshop UpdateMy Profile

16. Lizzy (Good Things) November 1, 2013 at 12:52 pm #

Judy, I could have sworn I’d commented on these previously, but it seems I hadn’t. What a wonderful recipe…. my Peter is particularly fond of dates, so I am bookmarking this one for the holidays, many thanks!
    Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..Blueberry Dutch baby pancake with white chocolateMy Profile

17. A Canadian Foodie November 22, 2013 at 7:13 am #

Dear Judy,
    I made sugar plums last year that these remind me of… you don’t even need the chocolate inside… just dried fruit and nuts and spices. I was the only one that liked them, but they were so rich and dense, I could only like one every couple of days. But, really did like them. Now, dipping them in chocolate would provide a whole other experience. Smart!
    I can see how this would be a very healthy alternative to a Christmas chocolate or truffle… and extremely satisfying. Good for you!
    “_
    V
    A Canadian Foodie recently posted..Vittoria’s Traditional Italian Biscotti with Almonds and Orange ZestMy Profile

18. The Sketched Chef November 25, 2013 at 3:39 pm #

This looks so delicate and wonderful!

19. macaron February 13, 2014 at 1:41 am #

ooooh my godness.
    i stumbled across your page searching for a vegan and gluten free treat to make for my colleagues for valentine’s day. i tried these little delight-bombs last night and they came out perfectly! such a glorious taste and texture. i wasn’t sure if it’ll work cos i haven’t worked with coconut meat before and the ingredients seemed rather dry, but – ooh baby – it came all together. i just had the first one and am utterly amazed. my colleagues will love me for them.
    thank you for the recipe!!!

• Judy Purcell February 13, 2014 at 6:43 am #

Hi Macaron, I know exactly what you mean — it is utterly amazing how good these are and they are a perfect after dinner treat. Thank you for taking the time to return and comment! It means so much to receive feedback from my readers and I hope you will continue to find recipes on Savoring Today that you love just as much. :)