Luncheon, appetizer, or light summer dinner, Curry Chicken Salad is a refreshingly simple low-carb appetizer.
The original recipe calls for halved grapes, which are wonderful and juicy, but easier to eat with a fork. Serving this classic salad with dried fruit in crisp lettuce eliminates the need for heavy bread or unwieldy utensils.
Curry Chicken Salad Boats is a light appetizer, ideal for bridal and baby showers, creating a lovely presentation. Romaine hearts or Belgian endive work well for the boats—Romaine hearts are less expensive, endive is a little more elegant.
Curry Chicken Salad Boats
- 1 head romaine lettuce hearts , or butter lettuce leaves, or endive, leaves separated, washed
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast , cut into 1/2″ pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
- 1 cup dried cranberries , currants, or golden raisins
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or cashews
- Trim the end from the Romaine head and wash and dry the leaves. Use the smaller leaves in the middle first as they are already close to the size and shape needed to make the “boats”. For additional boats, trim the larger leaves to approximate size of the smaller ones (see photo).
- Prepare meat, fruit, nuts, and vegetables as indicated; toss gently in a bowl. Mix dressing ingredients until well blended. Add to the chicken mixture to coat. Salt to taste.
- Spoon 1-2 tablespoons of salad into the lettuce boats and arrange on a tray. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.