This Prosciutto-Wrapped Caprese Salad Bites Appetizer makes party food easy and effortless.
Just four ingredients and a few minutes of prep and you’re all set to impress.
This easy and elegant appetizer is all about less than a handful of impeccably fresh ingredients. So few, in fact, it’s hard to call it a recipe.
Recipe TIPS for selecting ingredients
Buffalo mozzarella (mozzarella di bufala) is made from made from the milk of domesticated water buffalo and a superb way to start with its tender texture and ultra-fresh taste. While this is our favorite, any fresh mozzarella will work for this recipe and ciliegine is the perfect size.
Grape tomatoes are especially tasty here with their low water content, oblong shape of Roma tomatoes, and the sweetness of cherry tomatoes. They have a consistent ripe, sweet tomato flavor and the smaller size can be used whole or cut in half to accommodate a smaller sized bite.
Fresh organic basil brings the pleasing aroma of summer and heavenly herbal notes. Don’t be shy with its lovely leaves; it is not merely an accent—its fragrance and distinct flavor bring it all together.
Prosciutto is at the top of the list of edible wrappers. Vegetables, shrimp, chicken, and countless other food items have been enrobed with this Italian specialty. One slice of prosciutto will wrap four of these appetizer bites, so it goes a long way.
We prefer La Quercia prosciutto because it is artisan crafted, yet free of nitrites and the meat comes from animals raised without antibiotics or hormones. Worth every penny.
Caprese Salad Bites in 4 Easy Steps
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and season with salt and pepper (tomatoes taste better when seasoned before assembly).
- Cut the mozzarella into pieces similar in size to the tomatoes and tear the basil leaves into manageable pieces to fit between the tomato and cheese.
- Quarter the prosciutto slices with a sharp knife.
- Wrap each quarter slice around the tomato, basil, and cheese secure with a toothpick.
You’ll get the hang of it by the time you’re almost done.
Now for the finishing touch!
Arrange the pieces on a platter and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and aged balsamic—this extra splash of flavor takes it over the top.
Use marinated mozzarella balls or sun-dried tomatoes for a different flavor combo. Follow recipe assembly as written.
Prosciutto-Wrapped Caprese Salad Bites
- 4 thin slices prosciutto ((preferably imported) halved or quartered)
- 8 large basil leaves (torn in half)
- 8 small fresh mozzarella balls (Ciliengine) (, about 3.5 ounces (1-inch in diameter) halved)
- 8 grape or cherry tomatoes (, about 3 ounces, halved)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and season with salt and pepper (tomatoes taste better when seasoned before assembly).Cut the mozzarella into pieces similar in size to the tomatoes and tear the basil leaves into manageable pieces to fit between the tomato and cheese.Quarter the prosciutto slices with a sharp knife.
- Place a piece of basil on one end of each slice of prosciutto. Top each piece of basil with a piece of mozzarella and a tomato half, matching the cut sides to make a ball, then roll up in the prosciutto.
- Secure each with a toothpick and set on a platter. Repeat with the remaining ingredients then finish with a generous drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic to serve.
If you try this, please rate the recipe and let me know how it went for you in the comments below. It makes my day to hear from you!
Follow us on INSTAGRAM to see more food behind the scenes.