There is no shortage of breakfast protein smoothies out there, but we think this one rocks them all.
That’s because our Salted Mocha Almond Smoothie recipe doubles as a healthy breakfast and a satisfying treat.
Yeah, it’s hard to imagine eating chocolate for breakfast is actually healthy. But this smoothie recipe is packed with whole food and healthy fats, yogurt, and added protein to boot!
Coconut oil and almond butter provide the fat needed to satiate the appetite to ward off the morning munchies until lunchtime rolls around. There’s coffee involved here for that energy boost we all need in the morning so you can skip that second cup that gets cold anyway because your busy.
Banana and dates bring a touch of natural sweetness and fiber to help get you going later too, if you know what I mean. (wink)
This post may contain affiliate links. See our disclosure policy for more information.
Make it ahead for a quick grab and go breakfast smoothie
Like any smoothie, you can customize it to suit your taste and get your mornings started right. It also works as a make-ahead breakfast because there isn’t a lot of fruit to turn brown and unappetizing.
Blend it up without the ice and it will be good for up to three days in the fridge.
Of course, the brand of protein powder you use will make a difference in texture, so I recommend Naked Nutrition Whey Protein or Thrive Market Whey Protein (requires membership) to avoid any gritty textures.
- Blend it and enjoy.
- OR cover and refrigerate.
- Stir and enjoy. OR blend again with ice to thicken it just before serving.
Salted Mocha Almond Breakfast Smoothie
- Mix all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Taste and blend in honey, if desired.
- To make ahead, blend all ingredients except the ice. Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Blend with ice and dust with extra cocoa, as desired, just before serving.
- Makes 24 ounces – 2 (12-ounce) servings
- Thickness will be different depending on using regular vs. Greek yogurt, as well as the amount of ice.