What’s better than chocolate?
Chocolate delivered three ways in one Whole Wheat Triple Chocolate Cookie.
A soft whole wheat chocolate cookie wrapped around white chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chips is milk’s new best friend. A hint of instant coffee—the secret in great chocolate desserts—does wonders for chocolate cookies, deepening flavor and adding complexity.
Make a batch to take to parties, picnics, or backyard barbecues this weekend, they’ll be glad you did.
Healthy, Whole Wheat Triple Chocolate Cookies
- 1 cup butter , (2 sticks) softened
- 1 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups sprouted white whole wheat flour , or regular white whole wheat
- 1/2 cup Ghirardelli unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 cup Ghirardelli 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips
- 1 cup Ghirardelli Classic White Chocolate Baking Chips
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Whip butter, sugar, coffee, vanilla and salt in large bowl until creamy. Add eggs; beat until well combined.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and baking soda; add half to the butter mixture and mix until flour disappears into the dough. Add the other half and mix again until blended. The dough will be pretty stiff. Fold-in baking chips or hand place them on top of each cookie once they're on the sheet to bake.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until set. SEE NOTEBe careful not to over bake as you cannot see browning on dark cookies. Cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Yields about 3 dozen depending on size of cookies.
- 2 1/2-inch cookies based on 1.5 Tablespoons of dough for each cookie. Use #50 portioner, scoop mouth diameter: 1.5 inches / 38mm / 3.8cm
- Baking time is an estimate for 2 1/2-inch cookies based on 8 minutes for more gooey centers and closer to 10 minutes for cake-like texture.
- Make ahead tip: Bake as directed and freeze for up to 3 months.
Chip or Essential Oil Flavorings to try.
- Sea Salt Caramel
- Irish Cream
- Peanut Butter
This is what happens when you can’t wait for them to cool — so worth it!
Oh so good! We love chocolate in every way and this cookie hits all the marks!
Love that last photo!