Caprese Panzanella Salad is a delicious twist on Caprese salad made with stale bread, tomatoes, onions, and basil dressed in balsamic vinaigrette.
Delicious Italian Summer Salad
Panzanella or panmolle is an Italian summer salad known throughout the Italian peninsula, but it is most popular in Tuscany.
This salad is commonly made out of stale bread, tomatoes, onions, and basil dressed in balsamic vinaigrette. Stale bread is moistened by pre-soaking it in water and pressing or infusing it with the salad dressing.
Other seasonal vegetables or charcuterie can be added to the salad’s basic ingredients such as cucumber, red peppers, olives, cheese, and meats.
Panzanella has different variations and one of them is this Caprese Panzanella where fresh buffalo mozzarella or bocconcini is added, which makes this salad even more amazing.
You can serve this salad on its own as an appetizer or light lunch or alongside grilled salmon for a light and tasty dinner.
More Salad Recipes You’ll Love
- 2 cups cubed focaccia bread , cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese , roughly torn
- handful fresh basil leaves , roughly torn
- 12-15 cherry tomatoes , cut in half
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- extra-virgin olive oil
- garlic salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- balsamic vinaigrette
- Place cubed focaccia in a baking tray then lightly drizzle it with olive oil. Season with garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper then place in a 190C preheated oven and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown in colour. Remove from oven and let it cool.
- Combine focaccia cubes, tomatoes, onion, mozzarella cheese and basil in a salad bowl then toss to combine.
- Drizzle balsamic vinaigrette on salad then serve.
I hop you enjoyed this guest post by Raymund at Ang Sarap (a Tagalog word for “It’s Delicious”)
Ang Sarap is the first place I look for Asian cuisine. In fact, his recipe inspired my Teriyaki Chicken post and his Mongolian Beef is a family favorite. He covers a wide range of flavors and regions, so stop-in and say hello, I know you’ll find great food there.