1. Kelly
    January 4, 2012

I enjoy reading your tips. I have given up sugar for the month of January so I can see how I feel without it. By the end of the year, I just felt like I needed an oil change…you know, how the old oil looks all gunky and then you get the new slick oil?…that’s what I’m going for. I didn’t list it as part of my “drop in the bucket” list, though, because I don’t know that I want to commit to it for the whole year. I’ll see what I feel like by the end of January, though.

2. Patricia
    January 5, 2012

I take smaller portions and always leave a bite or two on my plate. I love the idea of using smaller plates. Will try that and see how it works. I also eat apple slices spread with a little peanut butter for snacks and sometimes for my meal. English walnuts are also high on my list. I try to use them whenever I can. Fruit smoothies with fresh frozen fruit and yogurt are a good substitute for ice cream. I have also been a vegetarian for 30 years which has made me very conscious of everything I eat.. . .

3. Linda
    January 5, 2012

Good tips! I pretty much follow the same as you do but through the holidays I tend to get a bit comfortable to all the food! So I like these as a gentle reminder to get back on track!!

4. Karen (Back Road Journal)
    January 5, 2012

Great tips for everyone. I keep a little snack bag of 13 almonds in my purse if I get hungry while out in the afternoon. They don’t mess up your fingers and are a healthy treat.

5. ChgoJohn
    January 5, 2012

A very helpful post, particularly for this time of the year. I don’t believe in diets but I do try to incorporate little steps, such as those you’ve listed, that help me to steer a better path.

6. sportsglutton
    January 5, 2012

What am i trying to do to keep healthy in 2012….I call it the Gluttonous Diet. Tempered indulgences, if that’s possible. 😉

7. BBQ Smoker Site
    January 5, 2012

Best is #3. I still remember my first trip form the US to Europe. Portions at restaurants were much smaller – as such – no doggy bags!

8. mjskit
    January 7, 2012

A few great tips here! I get to start back of them today. My new year didn’t start out too well as far as eating right because of a week long workshop with no control on the food or snacks. You could guess what the snack were – Christmas cookies! :) So hopefully once I get home, my healthy eating habits will return. Can’t wait to actually get some vegetables on my plate! Happy New Year!

9. NancyC
    January 8, 2012

Thanks for the healthy snack ideas–those will come in handy!

10. Christina @ Sweet Pea’s Kitchen
    January 9, 2012

Great tips! We can all need a reminder this time of year! Thanks so much for the healthy snack list! :)

11. Steph (The Cheapskate Cook)
    January 16, 2013

Snacks is where the healthy eating gets me. I don’t buy snack food, but then I get tired of preparing food, so I usually end up staying hungry :-). Okay for weight loss goals, but not a good healthy habit. Thanks for the ideas! Gotta keep them in mind. Hummus is a good one.
    Thanks for linking up at Healthy 2Day Wednesday :-)
    Steph (The Cheapskate Cook) recently posted..Healthy 2Day WednesdayMy Profile