Life is about to change … Change can be good and bad. I have found it is most often bittersweet, as even the good requires letting go of something and the bad can open doors to possibilities we never imagined. This is good change. Remember the post about Gluten Free Chocolate Cake celebrating Kayla’s [...]
Limoncello Tiramisu, Lemon Pudding Cakes, Lemon-Lovers Ice Cream, Candied Lemon Peels, a Birthday and Forgiveness
That title is a mouthful and that’s a lot of lemon, but it was a big week. We all want life to be wonderful, birthdays to be special, and dessert to be the exclamation point on top of it all. At least, that’s what I want. Nevertheless, sometimes the timing is off. Way off. Things [...]
Snickerdoodles are a splendid, uncomplicated cookie. Cinnamon and sugar create a delicate crispness, while the butter keeps them soft and chewy just below the surface. Even when cookies and pastries are made with whole wheat flour, sweets of any kind are rare at our house. When I do make them expectations are high, and the [...]
What’s better than just plain chocolate? Chocolate delivered three ways in one cookie. A soft chocolate cookie wrapped around white chocolate and bittersweet chocolate chips is milk’s new best friend. A hint of instant coffee—the secret in great chocolate desserts—does wonders for chocolate cookies, deepening flavor and adding complexity. Make a batch to take to [...]
Of course, you can throw the usual burgers and brats on the grill, but if you’re feeding more than a handful of people burgers can be dry or cold before your guests get one on a bun. BBQ Pulled Pork and Pulled Chicken Sandwiches are an ideal choice to feed a crowd. Easily prepared ahead [...]
I thought it would be nice to try a new cookie recipe for Test Kitchen Tuesday this week. Although we do not eat sweets much anymore, I am still open to treats worthy of a special occasion. Since Oreos are made with hydrogenated oils, a homemade version could prove to be a great alternative. This [...]
Oatmeal: some see breakfast food; I see hard to resist soft cookies delightfully textured with crunchy, chewy, chocolaty add-ins, ready for some serious milk dunking. Preparing to make oatmeal cookies for my daughter’s after school snack, I was inspired by all the possibilities as I strolled down the bulk bin section at Whole Foods. Pecans, [...]
Looking for softer whole wheat chocolate chip cookies? King Arthur White Whole Wheat Flour produces superior results in delicate baked goods that are typically weighed-down, hard, or dry when using whole wheat flours. We don’t eat dessert much anymore, so when we do it has to be worth it. Although whole wheat is better than [...]
Submitted by: Mark Riggs, Kansas City, MO When I think about Christmas traditions in my family (both the family I grew up with and my family of friends I’ve accumulated over the years), I think of lots of traditions that—for different reasons—aren’t long-standing ones. The up side to this is I have twelve ideas for [...]
By Donna Helzer, Guest Author and Friend If you ask around there are dunkers and non-dunkers in life. Non-dunkers just do not understand dunkers and there is no convincing them. I am a dunker. Of course, I dunk cookies into milk, but my coffee with cream is host to various things…toast, muffins, cookies, scones, and [...]
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 14, 2013
- Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt May 7, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 7, 2013
- In My Kitchen, May 2013 May 1, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today April 30, 2013
- Judy Purcell: Hi Pam, thanks so much for taking time to let me k...
- Pam: I made this cake the other day and it got rave rev...
- Nilu A: Wow! Congrats on your garden Judy.. Lovely collect...
- Pure Complex: Okay I will admit it.. it took me a while to stop ...
- Phill: It's so nice to have friends like Helen and i'm ...