In our front yard is a commingled grouping of crab apple trees boasting fragrant pink and white blossoms each spring, which in turn feeds wildlife (and not so wild neighbors) in the fall. One side of the grouping is a Japanese Crabapple (pink blossoms) with small, dark red berry-shaped sour fruit, unfit for anything [...]
Successfully making Parmesan Sprouted Whole Wheat Bagels inspired a happy dance at my house. A bona fide, get your hands up, twist and shout, tickled pink sort of dance in the middle of the kitchen. Why so giddy? Well, as any parent can attest, making healthy food choices is a great idea until you try [...]
As soon as the Sprouted Wheat Burger Buns were pulled from the oven, plans for other flavors and seed toppings danced in my head (sometime this can be dangerous). Since I have always been a huge fan of rye bread, it seemed only fitting to make Light Rye Sandwich Buns for Reubens on St. Patrick’s [...]
The thought of Sprouted Wheat Burger Buns might stir memories of disappointment, if not a solemn vow of, tried it, and not going to spend six dollars on hockey puck bread again, thank you. I disliked the sprouted buns we found in the store so much I gave up eating a bun with my burger all [...]
When we decided to eliminate white flour from our diet years ago, a good French baguette was the one thing I missed most. Bread with soup, bruschetta, crostinis with baked brie, homemade croutons, and garlic bread were all off the menu until I could find or make a better alternative. Converting from white to whole [...]
It does not get any easier than a recipe with only two ingredients. Making fresh corn tortillas is a simple way to add new interest to familiar recipes. The technique may take a little practice, but it is worth the learning curve when you sink your teeth into authenticity. The soft texture and sweet corn [...]
While preparing to tackle the Test Kitchen Tuesday recipes I stumbled across this recipe from The Nourishing Gourmet for Bacon Irish Soda Bread—honestly, it had me at Bacon (the photo is amazing too). According to Jim Gaffigan, bacon is the fairy dust of the food world, making everything better! I thought I would pass it [...]
Do you ever comparison shop? Well, I often comparison surf, especially when it comes to refining recipes. Many of my recipes I consider tried and true, but I am always open for suggestions to improve technique, flavor, or nutritional value. Surfing for cornbread recipes will lead you on an endless journey considering regional differences, add-ins, [...]
For as long as I can remember, my mom made what she called Stollen every year at Christmas. Traditionalists would not recognize our family’s rendition since Stollen is similar to fruitcake. Ours would be described best as a pastry with its tender sweet roll dough cradling fresh or canned fruit, nuts, and spices and sweet [...]
Since our soaked grain adventure began a few months ago, the one bread I have missed more than any is French bread. Unable to find any recipe on-line that used authentic cooking methods for this type of bread which included soaking the grain, I decided to try to convert a basic recipe found on Famous [...]
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop 3rd Anniversary at Savoring Today June 18, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today June 11, 2013
- Cheese & Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells Recipe [Gluten-Free] June 10, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today June 4, 2013
- In My Kitchen: June 2013 May 31, 2013
- mjskit: So glad to hear that you and your family are safe!...
- john@kitchenriffs: Third anniversary? Terrific! And congrats - that...
- Judy Purcell: Deanna, thanks so much for featuring this post, re...
- Mimi: OMG that is one adorable dog!...
- Karen (Back Road Journal): Just stopped in to see if your area was safe from ...