1. Nelly Rodriguez
    September 10, 2011

Gorgeous and great idea adding the head!

2. mjskit
    September 10, 2011

You are absolutely right that homemade stock is crucial to soups and stews!!!! While you were making this wonderful looking shrimp stock I was making chicken stock. :) Can’t wait to see the Cajun Shrimp Stew!

3. Rufus’ Food and Spirits Guide
    September 10, 2011

You are so right. Stock makes all the difference. Love the picture of the fish head.

• Judy
      September 11, 2011

My kids can be so silly–glad she gave me permission to put that one in there. Made me laugh.

4. rsmacaalay
    September 11, 2011

We do nearly the same thing for shrimp stock the only difference is that we pound the heads with mortar and pestle to extract the juices inside them

• Judy
      September 11, 2011

I can see how that would make a difference, unfortunately, I didn’t have the shrimp heads, but my fish head fell apart nicely :)

5. frugalfeeding
    September 11, 2011

Stock really does make all the difference as most of the body of the dish comes from it. Looks really great.

6. ChgoJohn
    September 11, 2011

I’ve a bag of shrimp shells & heads in my freezer, just waiting to be made into stock. It’s always best when homemade and you’ve shared a great recipe. Thanks.

7. Karen
    September 11, 2011

Homemade stock makes such a difference in a recipe. I have used fish heads for stock just once. I was asked at the fish counter if I wanted the eyes removed and of course I said “yes, please”.

• Judy
      September 12, 2011

Karen, I cooked my first fish head last year for Bouillabaisse … didn’t think to ask for that! The kids thought it was pretty cool to see the eye floating in it, just made me squeamish, so I let my husband strain it (ha!). Thanks for the tip!

8. thedrivencook
    September 11, 2011

This looks good- if only I wasn’t allergic to shellfish!

• Judy
      September 12, 2011

Ashley, you can leave out the shrimp and simply make it fish stock. I also made suggestion on the Cajun Shrimp Stew post to switch out the shrimp with firm white fish–it would be just as delicious.

9. Emugg
    June 12, 2014

How funny, I was looking to see if using the heads of the shrimp would make a better stock than just using the shells. I just clicked the link without realizing it was to the site of my favorite “Osso Buco lady.” Your site is one of only three I have on my toolbar and USUALLY go to first. However I didn’t think to look for something Cajun here lol.

Your osso buco recipe though is still one of my favorites.

• Judy Purcell
      June 13, 2014

Emugg, thank you for your kind comment, it makes my day to hear from readers. There are a few Cajun recipes here, it is certainly some of my favorite food to savor. Glad you found what you were looking for, have a great weekend. :)