In the midst of compiling recipes for a cookbook, I pay attention when my husband says, “this just made it into the top 10” while eating dinner. It’s not a new recipe, but rather than making do with I had on-hand to pull it together, we made a trip to the store for fresh ingredients. I had to agree—it was the best Chicken Piccata I had ever made.
Fresh ingredients prove worth the trip.
No jars of prepared garlic or bottled lemon juice this time; fresh lemon, garlic, capers, and tender chicken create a memorable, classic Italian dish. Everyone knows fresh is best, but when it bumps an ole stand-by into the top 10, there is no better confirmation.
This same recipe is perfect for veal too—check out this post on Instagram.Print
Fresh lemon, capers, and tender chicken team up for this classic Italian dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Main Dish, Pasta, Chicken
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 whole chicken breast cutlets — or 2 boneless-skinless chicken breasts halved lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil — divided
- 1/4 cup flour — for dusting chicken
- 1/2 cup sweet Vidalia onion — finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon capers — drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley — minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- sea salt & pepper
- Season cutlets with salt and pepper then dust with enough flour to leave a fine coating. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet over med heat. Cook cutlets 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned. Transfer cutlets to a plate and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the skillet with the onion, season with salt and pepper, and cook until onion translucent and begins to brown at the edges, about 5 minutes.
- Add wine and garlic to the pan and stir while simmering, until garlic is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add broth, lemon juice, and capers and bring to a steady simmer. Return cutlets to pan for 1-2 minutes. Add the butter and once the butter melts, serve immediately.
- Serve cutlets with sauce, garnished with fresh parsley and grated Parmesan.
Gluten-free options: Use sweet rice flour for dusting the chicken and gluten-free chicken broth. Serve over gluten-free angel hair pasta or a bed of roasted vegetables.
Shared on the following Blog Hops: