Osso Buco Style Beef Short Ribs

Osso Buco Style Beef Short Ribs | Savoring Today

A few months ago at one of our favorite restaurants, Paravicini’s Italian Bistro, we ordered the special, which was short ribs, osso buco style—and it was special, indeed—one of the best Italian dinners we have had.  We asked how it was prepared, of course, because my husband suggested I try to make it at home (no pressure, right?!). Owner, Franco Pisani, shared that time was the secret, it must be cooked low and slow, 4-6 hours, he said. Unfortunately, the exact recipe was not forthcoming.

Every osso buco recipe I could find suggested only 2-2 1/2 hours, so I decided to wing-it, which isn’t unusual for me, and the adjustments ensued.  Osso Buco Milanese by Tyler Florence was the basis of inspiration for this recipe, though there were many tweaks and modifications. The result was amazing with a mix of bone-in and boneless beef short ribs, a larger variety of vegetables, and yes, a very relaxing 4 1/2 hour cooking time.

Do you ever make a new recipe and feel like you just discovered gold? This is one of those recipes. Succulent beef and tender vegetables that just melt in your mouth—low and slow delivers braised beef perfection.

Do you love hearing Italian? Listen to how to pronounce osso buco here.

Osso Buco | Savoring Today

• 3 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley -- finely chopped
  • 6 sprigs fresh thyme -- leaves and stems
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ½ teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup dry Marsala wine
  • 2 cups beef stock
  • 14 ounces stewed tomatoes -- Lucini San Marzano -- crushed by hand, with juices
  • ½ cup Israeli couscous (optional) -- uncooked
Instructions
  1. Position oven rack low in the oven, preheat oven to 300°. Trim beef ribs of excess outer fat, careful to leave meat attached to the bone. Dry meat with paper towels, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and dust lightly with flour on all sides.

2. In a large Dutch oven or oven safe pot with a secure lid, heat the butter over med heat. Sear the ribs on all sides, adding more olive oil as needed. Reserve browned ribs on a platter.

3. Add onion, celery, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to the pot and cook until softened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the bay leaves, thyme, and parsley. Raise the heat and add the wine to deglaze the pan. Return the ribs to the pot and add the stock, and tomatoes. Stir to incorporate and make sure the meat is mostly covered. Bring it to a simmer, and drizzle with a little olive oil. Secure a lid on the pot and place in the preheated oven; cook for 4-41/2 hours.
  4. Optional: Once ribs are done, remove from the oven and turn oven off. Taste and add more salt and pepper, as needed. Stir-in couscous, replace lid and return to the oven (still off), for 10-15 minutes.
  5. When ready to serve, make a bed of the vegetables on a plate and set ribs on top.
Notes & Suggestions
It is important to use dry Marsala wine for this recipe rather than sweet Marsala.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 4

Osso Buco Style Beef Short Ribs -- PlatedShared on the following Blog Hops:
The Healthy Home Economist Monday Mania
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday

, , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to Osso Buco Style Beef Short Ribs

1. Jill March 7, 2011 at 5:36 pm #

Wow. I love short ribs but can never get them to be really tender. This sounds like a good way to try. Thanks so much for the post!I will try this soon.

• Judy March 7, 2011 at 7:39 pm #

Let me know how it turns out for you :)

2. Sing @Dominos India March 8, 2011 at 4:32 am #

Oh My meaty goodness! LOL. Cant wait to try this one :)

3. rsmacaalay March 9, 2011 at 1:15 am #

Wow if thats one of the best Italian dinners you had then this will soon be served at my dinner table.

4. Donna Helzer March 9, 2011 at 9:59 am #

Looks like one more way to please my guys with beef AND get some veggies in too! Thanks

5. Linda April 12, 2011 at 10:04 am #

I like your site very much. Is there any way we can save your recipes? Thanks, Linda

• Judy April 12, 2011 at 10:13 am #

Hi Linda, thanks for stopping by :) You are welcome to use the print icon at the bottom of each post, or you might check out Recipe Fox on Mozilla which allows you to capture on-line recipes into MasterCook and other programs. Or you can wait for the published cookbook which I am currently working on ;) — iIf you subscribe to my blog you’ll receive info when it is available. The recipes are always here when you need them too, stop by any time!

6. kuby2u October 4, 2011 at 10:15 am #

I can’t wait to try this. I just have to wait to get the cremini mushrooms and red pepper. I know how it is to feel like you stick gold with a great recipe. thanks for sharing this.

• Judy October 4, 2011 at 10:46 am #

Let me know how it turns out for you–it is a family favorite for us, has even replaced pot roast!

7. kuby2u October 18, 2011 at 12:34 pm #

Oh my! This came out so good. I only had the korean kind of short ribs with the little bones. Other then that, I followed the recipe It was FANTASTIC! I’m sold on cream ini mushrooms.. and I love love Israeli couscous. This is on my list from now on. Thank you!

• Judy October 18, 2011 at 1:20 pm #

Kuby, thanks so much for taking the time to let me know how it turned out for you! I am so pleased you liked it, it is one of our favorites–It makes my heart happy to share good food. :)

8. Bruce Valk December 3, 2011 at 11:35 am #

This short rib dish was out of this world. With the cost of veal shank these days, you introduced the marvelous flavors and tastes that make the beef short rib a 5 Star entree. The whole family loved it. Thank You Judy.

• Judy December 3, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Bruce, thank you so much for taking time to comment, it means a lot. So glad to hear your family enjoyed this recipe, it is truly a favorite of ours and I am happy to share it. :D

9. mjskit April 25, 2012 at 9:30 pm #

What a delicious looking Osso Bucco! This one would definitely be worth the 4 to 5 hour wait!

10. Gourmantine February 25, 2013 at 3:05 am #

It’s incredible what hours of slow cooking does to meat, this recipe is definitely a keeper!
    Gourmantine recently posted..Sunday lunchMy Profile

• Judy Purcell February 25, 2013 at 6:43 am #

Yes, so true! Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to say hello. :)

11. Everett February 26, 2013 at 11:52 am #

The recipe looks awesome and I’m going to do it tomorrow. I have a quick question. When I make something I have never tried before I don’t change the recipe the first time but…….. my wife doesn’t like couscous (I wanted to use it lol). While I know it’s optional, would it change the flavor too much if I used some corn instead? Fresh corn of course.

• Judy Purcell February 26, 2013 at 7:07 pm #

I hope I’m not too late with my reply to your question. I don’t think I would use corn because it may sweeten the final outcome too much. However, because of the amount of sauce this recipe produces, I do recommend maybe a side of mashed potatoes or a small shaped pasta to serve the sauce over. The reason why I use the Israeli couscous (pasta pearls) is because it absorbs some of the juices, which is nice, but otherwise doesn’t change the flavors. A small amount of quick-cooking (under 6 minutes) pasta could also work.

I hope this helps. Please let me know how you like the recipe, feedback is always so helpful.

• Everett March 3, 2013 at 10:46 am #

Thank you for the quick reply. Had an emergency and didn’t get to make it until last night. I was afraid the corn would make it too sweet so thanks for the confirmation. I prevailed and made it with the Israeli cous cous after all :D

Since i had never had Osso Buco before I didn’t know what to expect, it was amazing. I had more meat than I thought with more bones so maybe I should have increased the liquid amounts but I didn’t. Given the extra bones and therefore marrow, the resulting broth was very thick and succulent.

Thank you for the recipe. I have your site book marked now. Can’t wait to try other recipes.

• Judy Purcell March 4, 2013 at 8:31 am #

I am delighted you enjoyed the Osso Buco, it really is a succulent sauce and I’m sure the extra marrow made it that much better. Thank you for taking the time to return and provide feedback, it is so helpful and I love hearing from readers!

12. CandyT March 25, 2013 at 3:31 pm #

My hubby and I made this yesterday doing we hope the last snow storm of the season. It is so wonderfully good. A huge hit with the family. We had more ribs than called for however just used a larger roaster. Thanks this is a keeper.

• Judy Purcell March 26, 2013 at 6:54 am #

Hi Candy, I am so pleased you liked it as much as we do, that is always so good to hear. :) Thanks for taking the time to let me know, the feedback is so helpful. Have a wonderful week and enjoy the leftovers–it’s even better the next day!

13. http://runl0st.wordpress.com July 4, 2013 at 6:04 pm #

Throughout that movie, they’re traveling from place to place, but is that really safe. The two shows this year have been advertised as:. Recruiting survivors is complicated but not difficult.
    http://runl0st.wordpress.com recently posted..http://runl0st.wordpress.comMy Profile

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Osso Bucco with Saffron Rice « Ang Sarap (A Tagalog word for "It's Delicious") - April 3, 2011

[…] category like this Milanese specialty called Osso Bucco, thanks for one of my blogger friend from Savoring Today who also posts really wonderful dishes it reminded me to post my own version of this wonderful […]