Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series

Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole

Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole

A few months ago I hosted a birthday brunch for a friend and the moment we were all together it was like a breath of fresh air. Most of the ladies around the table were part of the group warmly, yet reluctantly, referred to as the Elephant Ladies—a few friends who got together for lunch at the Elephant Bar Restaurant once a month. No one was wild about the title, but we were comfortable enough in our own skin to deal with the insinuation and it made us laugh. Over the past six months or so, schedules changed, busy Holidays got in the way, and financial strain took its toll, so we hadn’t gathered around a table in a while.

As we greet one another the sweet fragrance of catching-up fills the room. We need our girlfriends.

When I was a young bride, my perception was that my husband would fulfill all my relationship needs. Poor guy. That wasn’t just a two-ton truckload of pressure for him, but woefully unrealistic on my part. This perception created tension and left both of us frustrated. What I needed were girlfriends in my life so I’d know I wasn’t crazy, yet could break it to me gently when I was approaching the threshold, because they truly understand. My life has been so enriched by their friendship—my cup runneth over whenever we’re together.

What do girlfriends have to do with Egg & Sausage Casserole?

Well, the need for girlfriend time created the need for a good breakfast casserole because after spending nearly six hours together at the birthday brunch, it was obvious we needed to do this more often. So our original Elephant Ladies, with the addition of a few more, became a Brunch of Friends meeting at my house without worry about staying too long at a table (we’ve outlasted the wait staff), schedule conflicts, or tight budgets. The coffee is hot and the table is reserved for the day.

Hosting a monthly brunch has inspired me to look for recipes to feed a crowd, but still keep it light enough for breakfast/lunch type dining. Egg & Sausage Casserole is once such recipe, deliciously pared with fruit, yogurt, or a light salad. Any leftovers reheat well, so you can be sure nothing is wasted if fewer show up than expected. The original recipe was sent to me in a text message, which tells you how easy it is, but made it hard to pass along. After receiving multiple requests for this recipe, it seemed only fitting to create a proper way to share it with all my friends—those close by and on-line. :)

Perfect for an Easter brunch buffet or easy breakfast for out-of-town guests, “it’s a keeper” kind of recipe to serve any number quite well.

Commonly referred to as a frittata (a crustless quiche), I chose to serve it in a deeper casserole dish rather than a pie shape, but the idea is very similar. You can customize the add-ins to your heart’s content and there is no crust to fool with, so it is perfect for gluten-free friends. To ease the preparation time on the morning you plan to serve it, prep the add-ins the day before or several days in advance so it is just a quick step of mixing and into the oven. When serving quiche, frittata, omelets, or egg casserole, bits of tomato, sliced avocado, fresh herbs, and a sprinkle of feta elevates the entire dish—simple, yet worthy of treasured guests.

Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole -- Whole | Savoring Today

• dash salt and pepper
  • 2-3 sausage patties -- cooked
  • ¼ cup green chilies -- diced
  • 2 ounces goat cheese
  • 1 whole avocado -- sliced for garnish
  • 1 large tomato -- chopped for garnish
  • feta cheese -- for garnish
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°
  2. Saute green onion and garlic with 1 tablespoon butter in small skillet until onion is softened.
  3. Mix eggs, cream, green onion, garlic, salt, pepper, sausage, and green chilies in a mixing bowl until well combined.
  4. Pour egg mixture into a buttered 8x8 baking dish. Dot with crumbled goat cheese and bake for 30-40 minutes. If eggs jiggle in the middle when moved, continue baking until eggs are 'just set', but not browned. Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before slicing or spooning onto a plate.
  5. Garnish each serving with fresh avocado slices, tomato, and feta cheese, as desired. Salt and pepper, as needed.
Notes & Suggestions
Any combination of add-ins can be substituted for the sausage, green chilies, and goat cheese. If using firmer cheeses like cheddar, mix into the eggs rather than sprinkling on top before baking. Before adding chopped vegetables, sauté in a skillet with butter for 3-5 minutes to soften and allow moisture to evaporate before adding to the eggs.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 6-8

Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole w/ Tomato, Avocado, & Feta

Egg & Sausage Breakfast Casserole w/ Tomato, Avocado, & Feta

Shared on the following Blog Hops:
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday
The Nourishing Gourmet Pennywise Platter Thursday
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday
Hearth & Soul Hop

, , , , , , , ,

25 Responses to Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series

1. Rita Bose March 27, 2013 at 6:50 pm #

Looks so yummy!! I am your new follower. Do visit/follow my blog at – http://www.rita-bose-cooking.com/

2. Julie Mac March 28, 2013 at 7:53 am #

Yumm!!! I am making this this weekend. Thank you for all your fabulous recipes.

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2013 at 10:26 am #

You are so welcome, Julie! Please let me know how it turns out for you and how you like it, feedback is always so helpful. Have a great week!

3. john@kitchenriffs March 28, 2013 at 10:20 am #

Sounds like a terrific tradition! It’s nice to spend time mingling with friends, particularly if there’s food involved! And that’s a great casserole for a crowd. We often enjoy a frittata for dinner – it’s a great dish no matter when you serve it. Thanks for this.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..Eggs BenedictMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2013 at 10:27 am #

Oh, I agree, John, it makes a great dinner dish too. :)

4. Angie@Angie's Recipes March 28, 2013 at 1:25 pm #

Galfriends are like a good casserole….homey, friendly and cozy. Thank you for sharing and enjoy your long Easter weekend!
    Angie
    Angie@Angie’s Recipes recently posted..Carrot Rye BreadMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2013 at 10:28 am #

“homey, friendly, cozy” — I love that! Have a great week, Angie. :)

5. Karen (Back Road Journal) March 28, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I would enjoy being part of your brunch group if a dish like this is on the buffet…it sounds terrific.
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Panna Cotta With Balsamic Strawberry SauceMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2013 at 10:29 am #

Oh, Karen, I have often thought that if we lived closer, you would definitely be invited to join us at our table. Have a great week. :)

6. ChgoJohn March 28, 2013 at 11:14 pm #

Just look at that plate! It looks so colorful and fresh, Judy, and couldn’t be more appetizing. Being GF is a definite bonus. Thanks for sharing.
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Broiled Halibut with MushroomsMy Profile

• Judy Purcell March 31, 2013 at 10:30 am #

Thanks, John. You’re right, GF is a bonus, it seems every time I turn around another friend is avoiding gluten, so having another dish that everyone can enjoy is a must.

7. Hotly Spiced March 29, 2013 at 1:11 am #

I love this. What a great start to the day. I’ll have to try it. I love how it has green chillies and avocado in it. Happy Easter xx
    Hotly Spiced recently posted..Leggo’s Vine Ripe Pasta SauceMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 1, 2013 at 7:27 am #

Happy Easter to you, Charlie! Yes, it is a great way to start the day, and because it reheats so well, it makes several great starts for the week. :)

8. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) March 29, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Simple wholesome goodness to share with friends. One can’t go wrong. Love it Judy!
    Jed Gray (sportsglutton) recently posted..Corny Mexican LasagnaMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 1, 2013 at 7:28 am #

So true, Jed. Simple food and good friends is always a good combo. :)

9. mjskit March 30, 2013 at 8:33 pm #

You’re right – what a great Easter brunch casserole! Love it! Hope you’re having a wonderful Easter weekend!
    mjskit recently posted..Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese with AsparagusMy Profile

• Judy Purcell April 1, 2013 at 7:29 am #

Thanks MJ, hope your Easter weekend was great too!

10. Yi @ Yi Resevation March 31, 2013 at 6:21 pm #

What a fabulous egg sausage casserole! What a perfect way to celebrate the Easter and the spring with all the fresh and colorful vegetables. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Yi @ Yi Resevation recently posted..Cooking Planit Spice Giveaway (over $100 value)My Profile

• Judy Purcell April 1, 2013 at 7:30 am #

Thanks Yi, I appreciate you stopping by to comment and saying so! Hope you enjoy it. :)

11. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book April 2, 2013 at 7:57 am #

Ooh, I love the sounds of this and so prettily presented too.
    :-) Mandy
    Mandy – The Complete Cook Book recently posted..In My Kitchen – April 2013My Profile

12. Raymund April 2, 2013 at 2:21 pm #

Birthday brunch, thats a nice idea we did some before but not brunch it was more of a breakfast need to do it again
    Raymund recently posted..Chicken Chipotle BurgerMy Profile

13. Geni April 3, 2013 at 10:36 am #

This looks delectable Judy. I am so lucky to have my collection of girlfriends as well. They really get me and are a wonderful support system and a great bunch of people to have fun and laugh with.
    Geni recently posted..When Life Gives You Lemons—Make Lemon Rosemary Cake!My Profile

14. Pure Complex April 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm #

You topped off a great dish with avocados. It just looks so amazing. This is a weekend dish :). Love it
    Pure Complex recently posted..DIY / Magic DecalMy Profile