Asparagus is one of our favorites, so it shows up on our table at least once a week in the spring. Cream of Asparagus Soup is a quick 30-minute light meal or starter for dinner—simple to make from scratch or using a handful of leftover roasted spears and grilled onions. Bright accents of lemon and thyme create a lovely springtime soup, rain or shine. Serve with salad for lunch or as a first course with dinner with croutons or crusty bread.Print
Cream of Asparagus Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4
- Category: Soup, Lunch, Vegetable
- 3 cups roasted asparagus, chopped
- 1 cup sweet onions, sliced (grilled or pan-seared)
- oil for asparagus and onions
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest — approximately 1 lemon
- 1 dash nutmeg
- sea salt & pepper — to taste
- Roast asparagus with a drizzle of oil on a rimmed baking sheet, under the broiler on HI, about 10 minutes. While asparagus is roasting, grill onions until soft and lightly charred, or pan-sear with a little oil over medium heat, until browned in spots, about 10 minutes.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, add chopped asparagus, onions, broth, thyme, bay leaf, and garlic. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes to meld flavors.
- Discard bay leaf. Add contents of soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return soup puree to the pan, add lemon zest, cream, nutmeg, salt, and pepper; cook over med-low and simmer for 5 minutes while stirring.
- Serve in warmed bowls with croutons and a teaspoon of additional cream on top, if desired.
Posted on the following Blog Hops:
Real Food Whole Health Traditional Tuesdays
SS & GF Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays
Real Food Forager Grain-Free Carnival
Easy Natural Food Sunday Soup Night
Mom Trends Friday Food
Real Food Whole Health Fresh Bites Friday
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday