Coleslaw is a fresh, crisp, traditional barbecue companion. As much as I love classic slaw made with cabbage, it is inspiring to find new, creative ways to use the abundance of summer produce available now.
I think you’ll love this bright, slightly apple-sweet slaw with earthy notes of celery and fennel to bring variety to your backyard barbecue side dishes.
Celery, Apple, and Fennel Slaw
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut palm sugar
- 3 celery stalks , thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 small fennel bulbs , thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 firm crisp apple (such as Pink Lady, Honey Crisp, or Granny Smith), julienned
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk 3 tablespoon olive oil, 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, 1 1/2 tablespoons parsley, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon coconut palm sugar in a medium bowl.
- Add celery, thinly sliced fennel, and apple; toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.