This Classic Coleslaw with Celery Seed Dressing is a side dish worthy of the marinated and barbecued meats gracing our picnic plates.
Not the mayonnaise-laden cabbage seen in deli cases, this tangy-sweet homemade dressing with a pop of celery seed lightly coats a rainbow of crunchy vegetables for a memorable barbecue dish.
Warmer days draw us outside for grilling so you’re gonna need a killer side dish for your backyard entertaining.
Celery Seed Dressing Make This Old Stand-by Stand-out
Celery seeds are a great source of calcium and provide an extra punch of flavor your guests will appreciate. The dressing in this recipe is versatile, so feel free to use broccoli stems in place of the cabbage.
TIP: To save a little time, shredded cabbage or broccoli slaw can be purchased already shredded. If using broccoli slaw add a colorful aspect with chopped radicchio, sometimes known as Italian chicory, in place of the red cabbage.
Coleslaw with Celery Seed
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup coconut palm sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 1 teaspoons celery seeds
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- 3 cups shredded red cabbage (about 1/2 head)
- ½ green bell pepper , finely diced
- 1 large carrot , peeled and shredded
- ½ cup grated sweet yellow onion
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, sugar, vinegar, buttermilk, celery seeds, salt and pepper; whisk well to dissolve the sugar.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing until evenly coated. Adjust seasoning, to taste. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to chill and meld flavors for at least 1 hour before serving.
More Side Dish Recipes You’ll Love
This post contains affiliate links. Thank you for supporting what I do here at Savoring Today. For more information, please see our Disclosure Policy.