Skip boring ranch dip, this Hot Artichoke Dip will make your veggie tray disappear in no time. Some party dips make cold broccoli and cauliflower palatable, this artichoke dip with its creamy, tangy, smoky flavors take them from palatable to party favorite. Pita and tortilla chips will fly off the table too when sitting next to Hot Artichoke Dip, so be prepared to refill often.
Hot Artichoke Dip
- 28 ounces artichoke hearts (in water, not oil) , well drained, coarsely chopped
- 16 ounces cream cheese , room temperature
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 pound bacon , fried crispy and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce , Chipotle Tabasco recommended
- 1 bulb garlic , roasted and chopped fine
- 1 bunch green onion , finely chopped
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese , cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup grated Gouda cheese , or other distinct semi-soft cheese
- 8 ounces grated pepper-Jack cheese
- Cut the top of the garlic bulb off to expose the tips of the garlic cloves. Put garlic bulb in an oven proof dish and pour 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil over it to wet the outer skin; roast in a 350° oven for 30 minutes or so while preparing the other ingredients.
- Cut bacon into 1/4-inch slices and fry until well browned and crispy. Drain and rinse the artichoke hearts. Set them on end in the colander after rinsing so they drain well. (Gently squeeze to release remaining water.)
- Chop the onions only up to the dark green part. Chop some of the dark green part of the onions and save for garnish when serving. Grate cheese. Coarsely chop 1/2 of the drained artichokes and set aside.
- Remove garlic from the oven and let cool slightly. Remove garlic from the bulb by applying pressure to the bottom of the bulb—garlic should pop right out. In a food processor or mixer, combine cream cheese, onion (only the white part), all garlic, mayonnaise, mustard, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and hot sauce. Blend well. Fold in remaining cheeses and all artichokes.
- Pour into an oven safe dish and sprinkle bacon on the top. Bake in a 350° oven until cheese melts and mixture is warmed through (about 10-15 minutes). Remove from oven, garnish with chopped green onion, and serve with fresh vegetables and chips.