Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini

Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini | Savoring Today

What do you get when you ignore your garden for a few days?

Zucchini revenge.

I tend to pick zucchini once they reach about 6 inches long for their consistent texture, but when we returned from our long weekend in Estes, there was one zuke well beyond its tender youth. (Oh man, can I relate.) This one could be seen from the office window, mocking me for my neglect.

From what I can gather, I’m not the only one with larger than life zucchini on the counter—as soon as I posted a photo of our Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini on Facebook, friends confessed their own zucchini dilemma. It’s one of those vegetables that gets out of hand quickly, as it’s passed along to friends, neighbors, and co-workers at every opportunity. Just about everyone with a garden makes the naive miscalculation about the number of zucchini to plant. Been there. Once.

So what do you do when you find yourself with a squash the size of your arm? You thank your lucky stars and stuff that puppy, that’s what! Then you pass along the recipe to your friends because you know it’s the time of year they’re likely to end up with one too.

Besides, eating well is the best revenge … or something like that. ;)

So this recipe is for all my friends harvesting a little later than you intended and for all my other friends on the receiving end of your harvest. Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini almost tastes like pizza, my husband said, but it is certainly his favorite way to eat squash. The zucchini is overflowing with savory vegetables and classic Italian flavors of Kalamata olives, fennel sweetened sausage, and fresh basil. There is just enough cheese to hold it all together atop the crisp-tender squash for a meal everyone will savor.

As you can see in the photo, we enjoyed this as a one-dish meal, but you can add bread and a fruit salad to stretch the servings—leftovers warm up beautifully. As you can imagine, the stuffing ingredients are easy to customize, include the flavors you like best and enjoy!

Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini | Savoring Today

Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini

Prep time
Cook time

Ingredients
  • 1 large 12-14" zucchini -- cut in half lengthwise, seeds and center scooped out to leave ¼ inch thickness
  • ½ pound sweet Italian sausage -- browned and drained
  • ½ cup kalamata olives -- pitted and halved
  • ¼ cup fresh basil -- chopped
  • ½ cup Parmesan cheese -- grated, + more to sprinkle on top
  • 1 cup mozzarella cheese -- cut into ½ inch cubes
  • sea salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375°. To prepare the zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then scoop out the seeds and part of the flesh in the center to create a hollowed-out section for the stuffing, leaving about a ¼" edge. A small teaspoon with a narrow or pointed end works well for this. Save and freeze the part removed to add to soups or quick breads at a later time. Salt and pepper the zucchini and set aside.
  2. Brown the sausage in a skillet with the red pepper flakes, breaking up the sausage into small crumbles as it browns. Once done, drain on paper towels and set aside.
  3. In the same skillet, cook the onions in the fat from the sausage over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes (add olive oil if the skillet is too dry). Add the garlic, stir and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the olive oil, green pepper, mushrooms, and oregano in with the onions and garlic; cook over medium heat until mushrooms release their liquid and wilt. Remove skillet from heat and allow vegetables to cool.
  4. In a large bowl, mix the sausage, mushroom mixture, tomato, olives, basil, and Parmesan until combined. Gently stir-in the mozzarella cheese.
  5. Pat zucchini dry with paper towels if liquid has collected in the centers. Turn zucchini over and brush the skin side with olive oil. Place in a casserole dish large enough to hold the zucchini and fill with the stuffing, mounding it on top and pressing down so it will hold together. Top with parmesan and drizzle with olive oil.
  6. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and browned in spots. Note: The size of the zucchini will dictate cooking time, so test with a fork to determine doneness. If a fork pierces the zucchini with only light resistance, it is crisp-tender and ready to remove from the oven. If a softer texture is preferred, bake another 5-10 minutes.
Notes & Suggestions
Zucchini vary in size, so be flexible with the stuffing. This recipe will fill zucchini 12-14 inches long and approximately 3 inches in diameter.
Additional Notes: To make this gluten-free, be sure the sausage used is GF. To make ahead, the stuffing ingredients can be prepared and refrigerated for up to 3 days, except for the tomatoes and basil. Substitute ½ teaspoon of dried basil for fresh basil, if desired.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: Serves 2-4

Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini | Savoring TodayShared on the following Blog Hops:
Real Food Forager Fat Tuesday

Hearth & Soul Hop

Teach Me Tuesdsay

, , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchini

1. Amy Tong September 4, 2013 at 2:13 pm #

These Italian-Style Stuffed Zucchinis look awesome and delicious. I wish I have some zucchinis in the garden to make this. :) Guess I’ll have to visit my in-law so I can pick some fresh ones from theirs. ;)
    Amy Tong recently posted..Grilled Ribeye Steaks with Vanilla Coffee Rub and a GiveawayMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:30 am #

Friends, relatives, neighbors … I love how zucchini makes its rounds. Hope you can find some!

2. john@kitchenriffs September 4, 2013 at 4:41 pm #

I know all about zucchini revenge! They go wild around now, don’t they? I’m not growing them thi year (I have cucumber revenge, instead!) but probably will next year again. Anyway, this is such a great dish – wonderful flavors. Thanks.
    john@kitchenriffs recently posted..The Alaska CocktailMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Cucumber revenge … will you be pickling? Of course, I wouldn’t refuse someone passing along fresh cukes either. Don’t ya just love summer?!

3. Maureen | Orgasmic Chef September 4, 2013 at 6:28 pm #

Gosh this looks good. I know what you mean about leave a zucchini alone for a day and wow – huge. I used to stuff them Turkish style but I like this boat idea!
    Maureen | Orgasmic Chef recently posted..In My Kitchen – September 2013My Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:34 am #

Turkish style, hmm, that sounds good too!

4. ChgoJohn September 4, 2013 at 11:41 pm #

Good golly, Judy! Those are some stuffed zucchini! Love the flavors you’ve brought together here. You could easily use the topping to make bruschette or pizza but I do like the idea of using it on zucchini. It’s got all of the flavors of pizza without the carbs overload. Great idea!
    ChgoJohn recently posted..Peanut Butter for Your PupsterMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:35 am #

Thanks John, that exactly what I did with the leftover stuffing — spread it on a pizza for another meal — yum!

5. Karen (Back Road Journal) September 5, 2013 at 6:32 am #

You gave me a smile…zucchini revenge indeed. I love how you handled the situation in such a yummy way. :)
    Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted..Peach Streusel Pie With GingerMy Profile

6. Mimi September 5, 2013 at 7:25 am #

These are awesome!
    Mimi recently posted..Salmon RillettesMy Profile

7. Lizzy (Good Things) September 6, 2013 at 2:14 pm #

This is a beautiful recipe, I am definitely going to try this when we grow zucchinis this season. You made me smile, too. A few times, years ago, when we went away for a few days, we would come home to things the size of the Hindenberg! : )
    Lizzy (Good Things) recently posted..Beef with beans and green peppercornsMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:39 am #

Hi Lizzy! Yes, it doesn’t take long for them to grow crazy big — hope you enjoy them in this recipe. :)

8. Raymund September 7, 2013 at 4:49 pm #

Wow thats what I call zucchini, I would love to have two of those. Judy they look so amazing!
    Raymund recently posted..Must Try Foods in SwitzerlandMy Profile

• Judy Purcell September 8, 2013 at 8:41 am #

Thanks Raymund, it was delicious, we sure wanted seconds!

9. Linda September 17, 2013 at 6:56 am #

Hello Judy, It’s been way too long; thanks for stopping by and dropping me a note. This looks amazing and I have all the ingredients on hand right now to pull this together tonight! Like a French bread pizza! I do miss blogging and visiting “my friends”, life has just thrown me a few curves that I need to settle with first and hopefully one day I will be back doing what I love.

• Judy Purcell September 17, 2013 at 7:00 am #

Ah, life. Those curves can take some time to navigate. Just wanted you to know you are thought of and I hope to see you posting recipes you love again soon. (hugs)

10. Adri October 11, 2013 at 4:38 pm #

HA! Zucchini revenge – well put. Oh, but I have walked out into my garden after an absence of several days, and come upon the most extraordinarily large ones. Sometimee even if I am attentive, it seems that overnight I’ve got Killer Zucchini.

Your recipe looks great. It’s the perfect thing for the large specimens!

11. Chelsea Day October 29, 2013 at 10:51 am #

If you haven’t linked up yet, I’d love to have you come share this on Teach Me Tuesday! http://www.somedayilllearn.com/2013/10/28/teach-tuesday-39/
    Chelsea Day recently posted..Make your own Baby Food PouchesMy Profile

• Judy Purcell November 5, 2013 at 6:49 am #

Thanks, Chelsea, for featuring this recipe on Teach Me Tuesday!

12. Adelina Priddis November 4, 2013 at 8:15 pm #

Oh that looks amazing! I had a huge zucchini crop this last year, and most of them were over a foot long!! It was craziness! I chopped up most of them and froze them, but I did cut one in half to try stuffing it. Will for sure be trying this soon!
    Adelina Priddis recently posted..DIY Steampunk HatsMy Profile

• Judy Purcell November 5, 2013 at 6:52 am #

Hi Adelina, thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. :) It doesn’t take much to have zucchini craziness on your hands. I do think you will love this recipe, it is our favorite way to enjoy zucchini. Have a great day!