Broccoli-Cauliflower Gratin has graced our Thanksgiving dinner table numerous times. Broccoli and cauliflower in a comforting blanket of Brie and cheddar cheese sauce is a vegetable side dish everyone loves.
Easy Vegetable Side Dish
The basic recipe below is easy to customize to your own taste. Roast or steam the vegetables and any favorite cheese with good melting properties is suitable. Also included in the notes is the option of making it gluten-free gratin, while maintaining the integrity and quality of the dish.
Gratin One Night, Soup the Next
My advice is to make more than you think you’ll need because it makes a fantastic cream soup for lunch the next day. To make soup with leftovers, simply place leftovers in a food processor or use an immersion blender to puree until smooth then gently warm in a sauce pan. Garnish with a gorgeous heirloom tomato slice and chopped scallions or chives to serve. Find the soup recipe here => Broccoli-Cauliflower Gratin SoupPrint
Broccoli and cauliflower drizzled with cheese sauce and topped with panko bread crumbs for a creamy-crunchy vegetable side dish.
- 1 pound cauliflower — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds broccoli — cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk + more to thin sauce as desired
- 1 cup Brie cheese, including rind — cut into small cubes
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese — grated
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese — grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs — See Notes for Gluten-Free options
- sea salt and pepper
- Steam cauliflower pieces for 5-6 minutes and broccoli spears about 4 minutes until crisp-tender.
- Transfer to a 9×11 baking pan in a single layer; season with salt & pepper. Preheat broiler and position rack 8-10 inches from the heating element.
- In a medium sauce pan, melt butter. Add flour and whisk over medium heat for 2 minutes or until bubbly and flour is dissolved well.
- Add 1 cup of milk and whisk until thickened and bubbling, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir-in the brie and cheddar cheese, continuing to stir until cheese is melted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the sauce over the cauliflower and broccoli; sprinkle with Parmesan and bread crumbs; broil for 5 minutes until the gratin is bubbly and lightly browned.
This dish can be made in advance, covered and set aside for up to an hour while preparing other aspects of a meal. Dress with the bread crumbs and Parmesan just before putting in the oven. To make this dish gluten-free, substitute sweet rice flour for regular flour and use gluten-free bread crumbs in place of panko bread crumbs.
- Serving Size: 6