A few months ago I hosted a birthday brunch for a friend and the moment we were all together it was like a breath of fresh air. Most of the ladies around the table were part of the group warmly, yet reluctantly, referred to as the Elephant Ladies—a few friends who got together for [...]
Last week I hosted a brunch, invited a few friends to join me, and made this Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust for the occasion. I am better, life is better, when I’ve had time with good friends around my table—it is pure joy. It wasn’t always that way. At one point in my [...]
I know bacon recipes have almost become cliché on food blogs, but bacon captures attention like a bride walking down the aisle—no one turns away, all eyes are where they’re supposed to be … on the bacon recipe. Can the love of bacon be strong enough to handle one more? Yes. Besides, this isn’t all [...]
Our youngest daughter has no problem eating the same breakfast every day. Let’s just say she gets on a certain food wave and rides it like there’s nothing else to eat. Last spring it was bagels … every morning. I would try to fix oatmeal or scrambled eggs, but all she wanted was a [...]
In our front yard is a commingled grouping of crab apple trees boasting fragrant pink and white blossoms each spring, which in turn feeds wildlife (and not so wild neighbors) in the fall. One side of the grouping is a Japanese Crabapple (pink blossoms) with small, dark red berry-shaped sour fruit, unfit for anything [...]
One way you can tell October has arrived is the abundance of spice lattes, savory soups, and comforting baked goods with plenty of pumpkin in the mix. The canned pumpkin in my pantry has been calling to me for weeks, but I waited for the weather to cool just a smidgen before firing up [...]
Last weekend we attended another beautiful wedding for the daughter of our friends. All the usual festivities were in place with carefully selected music, scripted vows read from their electronic device of choice (that still got messed up when she said “to be my wife” instead of husband — oops!), cute as a button [...]
Successfully making Parmesan Sprouted Whole Wheat Bagels inspired a happy dance at my house. A bona fide, get your hands up, twist and shout, tickled pink sort of dance in the middle of the kitchen. Why so giddy? Well, as any parent can attest, making healthy food choices is a great idea until you try [...]
This weekend I am co-hosting a bridal shower and the goal is to create a completely gluten-free menu. You see, my friend was diagnosed with celiac disease a few years ago and routinely has to either bring her own food or eat beforehand when attending gatherings. It really bums her out. There is something special [...]
Super Bowl behind us, Valentine’s Day before us, there is always a reason to enjoy good food no matter what label is used. Valentine’s Day has become a favorite time for us, especially since we began making reservations for an intimate dinner at our own table. No crowds, no pressure, dress however you please (use [...]
- Egg & Sausage Casserole [GF]: A Hospitality Series March 27, 2013
- Cream Cheese Fruit Tart with Almond Crust Recipe [GF]: A Series on Hospitality March 6, 2013
- Pad Thai with Shrimp ~ Quick & Easy Weeknight Recipes March 14, 2013
- Helen’s Chicken Soup: A Bowl of Comfort February 27, 2013
- Orange Balsamic Glazed Ribs ~ Banish the Ho-Hums! February 20, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 14, 2013
- Date-Fudge Truffles with Sea Salt May 7, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today May 7, 2013
- In My Kitchen, May 2013 May 1, 2013
- Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today April 30, 2013
- Judy Purcell: Hi Pam, thanks so much for taking time to let me k...
- Pam: I made this cake the other day and it got rave rev...
- Nilu A: Wow! Congrats on your garden Judy.. Lovely collect...
- Pure Complex: Okay I will admit it.. it took me a while to stop ...
- Phill: It's so nice to have friends like Helen and i'm ...